Author Topic: License plate cameras track millions of Americans  (Read 1069 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
License plate cameras track millions of Americans
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
Re: License plate cameras track millions of Americans
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:18:39 PM »
The use of information for tracking purposes is dodgy, but merely using the scanners to look for "hot list" license plates is probably constitutional inasmuch as operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right, and the use of a camera to identify vehicles that are not licensed for use on the roads is probably a rational means of regulating the use of that privilege.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:36 PM »
They made them turn off the red light/license plate cameras in Phoenix.....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Does the hairspray trick still work?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »
Does the hairspray trick still work?

What trick is that?

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
The use of information for tracking purposes is dodgy, but merely using the scanners to look for "hot list" license plates is probably constitutional inasmuch as operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right, and the use of a camera to identify vehicles that are not licensed for use on the roads is probably a rational means of regulating the use of that privilege.

I would argue that operating a motor vehicle is a right inasmuch as we have a right to travel. It's what our infrastructure is built around. I can't safely travel the 3 miles to the grocer's without a motor vehicle.

OTOH, that "right to operate a motor vehicle" is not a cop out to give away Porsche's to the welfare crowd.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
I would argue that operating a motor vehicle is a right inasmuch as we have a right to travel. It's what our infrastructure is built around. I can't safely travel the 3 miles to the grocer's without a motor vehicle.

OTOH, that "right to operate a motor vehicle" is not a cop out to give away Porsche's to the welfare crowd.

How is it a right, as opposed to a "privilege" that the State can grant, deny, or condition?  The right to travel does not grant a right to any particular form or mode of travel, nor does it require the State to make it possible for you to exercise that right, all that it requires is that the State not act affirmatively to unreasonably restrict or deny your right to travel.  This is a negative freedom, not a positive freedom (as are all the real freedoms protected by the Constitution).

If you cannot travel the 3 miles to the grocery store without a car then you have several alternatives:  (1) legally own your own car, (2) legally borrow someone else's legally owned car, (3) legally have someone else drive you around in that person's own car, (4) have your groceries delivered to you, or (5) move.

Owning an automobile and legally operating it on the public highways is a privilege, not a right, and it is not necessary in order to exercise your right to travel.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
"They will scan everyone, and if any one of the plates turns up with a lapse or suspension, they will arrest the driver on the spot."

... EXCEPT if they happen to be "illegals".... ;)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »
What trick is that?

The first cameras - no idea if they have been improved - could be fooled by giving part of your plate a blast of hair spray (three coats. That was what I was told). It would obscure one or two letters/digits of your plate but look unsuspicious, Any one watching would assume it was a sundog reflecting off your plate and of course the computers simply couldn't read the plate.

Not tried this since 2005 - it still worked then.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
The first cameras - no idea if they have been improved - could be fooled by giving part of your plate a blast of hair spray (three coats. That was what I was told). It would obscure one or two letters/digits of your plate but look unsuspicious, Any one watching would assume it was a sundog reflecting off your plate and of course the computers simply couldn't read the plate.

Not tried this since 2005 - it still worked then.

It might - although I'm not going to put my neck out there by trying it - but wouldn't it only work if the Sun were coming from behind the vehicle in question?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »
Maybe a swarp of mud on part of the license plate and surrounding area might not look so "intentional". 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
Maybe a swarp of mud on part of the license plate and surrounding area might not look so "intentional".

The only application that I can think of....would be the search of suspended registrations that are driving while suspended.

Now, they could extend that to flagging the 'owner' of the vehicle to see if they personally have any outstanding warrants and if they get a 'hit', they could proceed with the chase and pulling them over.

I don't see how the government can use this information on general population to their detriment.   Sorry.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
How is it a right, as opposed to a "privilege" that the State can grant, deny, or condition?  The right to travel does not grant a right to any particular form or mode of travel, nor does it require the State to make it possible for you to exercise that right, all that it requires is that the State not act affirmatively to unreasonably restrict or deny your right to travel.  This is a negative freedom, not a positive freedom (as are all the real freedoms protected by the Constitution).

If you cannot travel the 3 miles to the grocery store without a car then you have several alternatives:  (1) legally own your own car, (2) legally borrow someone else's legally owned car, (3) legally have someone else drive you around in that person's own car, (4) have your groceries delivered to you, or (5) move.

Owning an automobile and legally operating it on the public highways is a privilege, not a right, and it is not necessary in order to exercise your right to travel.

I suppose I could use a horse, but someone would complain that it was animal cruelty.

To have rights, but claim that the methods of enjoying those rights are privilege sort of negates those rights.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf