Author Topic: U.N. pens deal for unarmed surveillance drones over Congo  (Read 382 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Silence is Golden. Boredom is even better.
U.N. pens deal for unarmed surveillance drones over Congo
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Via Reuters:

(Reuters) - U.N. peacekeepers in Democratic Republic of Congo will begin using unarmed drones on a trial basis to monitor its war-torn east, the head of peacekeeping operations told Reuters on Sunday.

U.N. peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous, in Paris to attend France's Independence Day celebrations, told Reuters a deal signed on Friday with an unnamed company would allow for a "complete picture of what is happening" on the ground.

Thick forests, rugged terrain and few roads have complicated peacekeepers' efforts to control the area.

"We have just signed a commercial contract for the UAVs, and I say UAVs, not drones, as they are unarmed," Ladsous said, referring to unmanned aerial vehicles.

"This is a major innovation. For the first time the U.N. is going into state-of-the-art, 21st-century technology."

More at link.

Is this justified or justifiable?
Before you bitch about the youth of today ... think about who raised them.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • SMOD 2016
Re: U.N. pens deal for unarmed surveillance drones over Congo
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
This should prove amusing.  The blue-helmet drones will probably be as ineffective in the sky as the blue-helmets themselves are on the ground.
I won't vote for Clinton, but I cannot vote for Trump.  How could I explain to my daughter why I supported a man who sees her as nothing more than a piece of meat, a piece of a$$ for him to grope for his own private pleasure.

"Trump supporter" - the very definition of an SFI

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo