Author Topic: Giants' Lincecum no-hits San Diego Padres, 9-0  (Read 639 times)

Offline flowers

Giants' Lincecum no-hits San Diego Padres, 9-0
« on: July 14, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/07/14/giants-lincecum-no-hits-san-diego-padres-0/?test=latestnews

SAN DIEGO –  The Freak is back.

Tim Lincecum tossed aside his recent struggles and pitched his first career no-hitter and the second in the majors in 11 days, a gem saved by a spectacular diving catch by right fielder Hunter Pence in the San Francisco Giants' 9-0 win over last-place San Diego on Saturday night.

Lincecum has won two Cy Young Awards and two World Series rings. Now he has something really remarkable -- a no-hitter in which he threw a whopping career-high 148 pitches.

"Right now I think I'm just kind of coming down and don't know where to be emotionally," a calm Lincecum said.

The slightly built right-hander was in control from his first pitch until his last, which settled into left fielder Gregor Blanco's glove and set off a wild celebration in front of a pro-Giants crowd at Petco Park.

Catcher Buster Posey wrapped Lincecum (5-9) in a bear hug and lifted him off the ground. Lincecum was then mobbed by his teammates behind the mound and doused with water.

Dang would liked to have watched this one.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: Giants' Lincecum no-hits San Diego Padres, 9-0
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:46:48 pm »
Lincecum has not been very good this year - heck, the Giants have been pretty awful as a team - but San Diego has become a rather easy mark for a pitcher in the last six weeks.  I am amazed that Lincecum could last 148 pitches...there's been a lot of conversation about turning him into a reliever where he wouldn't even have to throw around 100, under the theory that he'd be more effective and maintain velocity better not having to throw as many.

Pitchers are probably over-protected these days as clubs worry about the longevity of their investment in them...this is probably more evidence that over-protecting holds them back...at least on a given day.  This is another example of a pitcher that doesn't have great "stuff" getting some great defensive plays and having all the right conditions present - a big ballpark and a weak hitting opponent - and gutting it out.  Good for Lincecum, it is no mean feat no matter what the conditions.  Good for him for gutting it out, he had to have some bulldog in him to do it like that. (Btw...Petco Field in San Diego is a beautiful ballpark in a great downtown area, one of the best places anywhere to see a game and it is a completely unknown (nationally) jewel of a ballpark).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:48:24 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

Re: Giants' Lincecum no-hits San Diego Padres, 9-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:25:10 pm »
Lincecum has not been very good this year - heck, the Giants have been pretty awful as a team - but San Diego has become a rather easy mark for a pitcher in the last six weeks.  I am amazed that Lincecum could last 148 pitches...there's been a lot of conversation about turning him into a reliever where he wouldn't even have to throw around 100, under the theory that he'd be more effective and maintain velocity better not having to throw as many.

Pitchers are probably over-protected these days as clubs worry about the longevity of their investment in them...this is probably more evidence that over-protecting holds them back...at least on a given day.  This is another example of a pitcher that doesn't have great "stuff" getting some great defensive plays and having all the right conditions present - a big ballpark and a weak hitting opponent - and gutting it out.  Good for Lincecum, it is no mean feat no matter what the conditions.  Good for him for gutting it out, he had to have some bulldog in him to do it like that. (Btw...Petco Field in San Diego is a beautiful ballpark in a great downtown area, one of the best places anywhere to see a game and it is a completely unknown (nationally) jewel of a ballpark).
Wow 148 pitches.  Padres haven't been doing well the past few weeks is right. Petco is a beautiful ballpark.  Padres are my favorite team.  Used to live in Southern Cali. I remember going to Jack Murphy Stadium/ Qualcom for Padre games. Drove by Petco, never had a chance to go in.  :patriot:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:30:28 pm by flowers »