Author Topic: Twitter agrees to hand over details of people who post racist or anti-Semitic comments after French legal battle  (Read 1162 times)

Offline flowers

But Twitter lawyer Alexandre Neri originally argued that the company was only subject to US law and only a judge in America could force it to release the information.

Mr Neri told the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris that Twitter ‘data is collected and stored in the United States’ – namely in San Francisco, where the site is based.

‘Should I submit myself to the law of a different country to where I work?' he asked.

He added that the differences between French and US laws on freedom of speech have created a ‘huge void, a question mark’.

But AFP, France’s national news agency, today confirmed that Twitter had agreed to cooperate with the judgement, and would hand over the coordinates of those responsible for the tweets.

A Twitter spokesman said: 'Further to discussions between the parties and in response to a valid
legal request, Twitter has provided the prosecutor of Paris, Presse et Libertés Publiques section of the Paris Tribunal de Grande Instance, with data that may enable the identification of certain users that the Vice-Prosecutor believes have violated French law.

'This disclosure puts an end to the dispute between the parties, which have agreed to actively continue contributing together to the fight against racism and anti-Semitism, in keeping with their respective domestic laws and regulations, such as by taking measures to improve the accessibility of the reporting procedure of illegal tweets.'

Last year Twitter shut down an account run by a German neo-Nazi group based in Hanover, following a request by German police. Facebook and YouTube complied with similar requests.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2361751/Twitter-agrees-reveal-names-people-post-racist-anti-Semitic-comments-losing-French-legal-battle.html#ixzz2YsJL0D6o
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

:patriot:

Oceander

Anyone want to guess another avenue the US federal government has for getting information on what Americans are doing?  They take advantage of the different laws in different countries that the large ISPs are subject to in order to accomplish indirectly what they cannot do directly.  Anyone want to guess how long it will take for the NSA to request, and the French to provide, all of the juicy bits the French get from Twitter under the rubric of this French court order?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
O - while I'd normally agree with you, at the moment I doubt and chance of co-operation between the French and the NSA. You don't know just how pissed off they are about the whole spying thing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

O - while I'd normally agree with you, at the moment I doubt and chance of co-operation between the French and the NSA. You don't know just how pissed off they are about the whole spying thing.

They are now, but as they say, time heals all wounds, particularly if the US agrees to quietly pimp some project the French are interested in.