Author Topic: DC Council's punitive action toward Walmart  (Read 1109 times)

Offline pjohns

DC Council's punitive action toward Walmart
« on: July 11, 2013, 01:20:45 am »
The anti-Walmart left has managed to pass a bill in the DC Council that would increase the minimum wage by over 50 percent--from $8.25 per hour in DC, currently (which is $1.00 an hour above the federal level) to an astronomical $12.50 per hour!

But this law would apply only to especially large retailers (such as, for instance--well, Walmart).

And it automatically exempts businesses that are unionized.

Here is the pertinent link:  D.C. councilman: Wal-Mart should stay, accept wage increase - WTOP Mobile

Walmart has recently planned six stores in sections of DC that have never yet had a Walmart; three of which are currently under construction.  If this punitive measure actually goes through, all six of those stores are probably jeopardized.

My guess, however, is that the mayor is likely to veto this terrible piece of legislation.

If he does so, the Council's 8-5 vote--if repeated--would not be enough to override the veto.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: DC Council's punitive action toward Walmart
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:45:18 am »
Hey, the Democrats don't want those poor people actually getting jobs when they can keep them on the public dole.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:13:32 am »
D.C. is just another parasitical town that lives by sucking off the taxpayer teat.  Without all of that taxpayer money around, all of D.C. would look like the sordid little bit that sits just East of the Capitol.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 04:27:59 am »
In the early 70's I lived in Silver Spring, MD with my (soon to become) ex-husband.  I remember one of the first times we drove into DC on surface streets rather than taking The Beltway.  Stopped at a traffic light and this black man came up and leaned right into the windshield to look inside the car and make comments about the blond in the car (me)... I was terrified and after than insisted we drive around the when we went to Virginia to visit my uncle and his family...  I would read the papers and all the crime reports and was so scared that when my husband was out of town on a business trip I wouldn't even answer the apartment door if someone knocked.  Two months and I was more than ready to go back to California.  Later I went to DC on business and stayed at the better hotels and friends and I used to take the subway to Rockville, MD to a fabric store we liked;l made me wish they'd had the subway back when I lived there, alas they were just getting ready to start it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776