Author Topic: Retired Admiral and Biofuel Fan Nominated to be Navy Energy Chief  (Read 833 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

I'll defer to others with greater knowledge about this issue but on the surface this seems to be yet another questionable Obama appointment, one based more on ideology than expertise.

The Obama administration has selected a renewable energy advocate and retired admiral to be the Navy’s new energy chief, according to an announcement from the White House.

Retired Vice Adm. Dennis V. McGinn — former president and chief executive of the American Council of Renewable Energy — has been nominated to be the Navy’s assistant secretary for energy, installations, and environment.

The vocal advocate for renewable energy resources — if confirmed by the Senate — will head the office in charge of maintaining naval installations, the Navy’s environmental programs and, “conservation of natural and cultural resources,” according to office’s website.

The Navy has come under fire from lawmakers over its ongoing pursuit of renewable jet and ship fuel derived from algae and camelina plants.

The experimental fuel —bought in limited quantities —  costs $26 a gallon compared to $3.60 for conventional fuel, according to 2012 information from the Navy. The service spends about $4 to 5 billion on fuel a year to power its ships and aircraft, according to Navy budget documents.

http://news.usni.org/2013/07/09/retired-admiral-and-biofuel-fan-nominated-to-be-navy-energy-chief
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

Re: Retired Admiral and Biofuel Fan Nominated to be Navy Energy Chief
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56:32 pm »
I'll defer to others with greater knowledge about this issue but on the surface this seems to be yet another questionable Obama appointment, one based more on ideology than expertise.

I have no knowledge about this issue, but to have knowledge on any Obama appointment.  Not good for country and based on ideology.