Author Topic: IRS supporters 0-for-3 on putting scandal to rest  (Read 392 times)

Offline Rapunzel

IRS supporters 0-for-3 on putting scandal to rest
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »

Offline happyg

Re: IRS supporters 0-for-3 on putting scandal to rest
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
More will come out about the IRS. It has been on its own since its inception, with little or no oversight. I'm waiting on a movement to get rid of this monstrosity.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: IRS supporters 0-for-3 on putting scandal to rest
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
More will come out about the IRS. It has been on its own since its inception, with little or no oversight. I'm waiting on a movement to get rid of this monstrosity.

The IRS hasn't been without oversight since its inception - if nothing else, the Taxpayer Bill of Rights laws enacted in 1996 and 1998 demonstrate that Congress has more than enough power to force accountability on the IRS, provided the political will is there.

As far as getting rid of the IRS goes:  even if one assumes (unrealistically) that the federal government would go back to collecting only revenues from excise and duty taxes, those taxes do not collect themselves and therefore there will always have to be some group of individuals tasked with collecting those taxes.  You can put whatever name you like on that group, but it will still be the functional equivalent of the IRS.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf