Author Topic: Recovery woes: America's second-largest employer is a temp agency  (Read 1069 times)

Offline flowers

Behind Wal-Mart, the second-largest employer in America is Kelly Services, a temporary work provider.

Friday's disappointing jobs report showed that part-time jobs are at an all-time high, with 28 million Americans now working part-time. The report also showed another disturbing fact: There are now a record number of Americans with temporary jobs.

Approximately 2.7 million, in fact. And the trend has been growing.

In the first quarter of 2013, U.S. staffing companies employed an average of 2.86 million temporary and contract workers, according to the American Staffing Association. This represents a 2.9 percent growth from the same period in 2012. For just the month of June, there was a 6.7 percent growth in the number of staffing jobs than last year.

Temp jobs made up about 10 percent of the jobs lost during the Great Recession, but now make up a tenth of the jobs in the United States. In fact, nearly one-fifth of all jobs gained since the recession ended have been temporary.

It's a sad state of affairs for our country. While part-time and temp jobs reached highs last month, full-time jobs decreased by another 240,000. The recovery, or lack thereof, is being fueled by a shift from full-time to part-time work.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/recovery-woes-americas-second-largest-employer-is-a-temp-agency/article/2532778

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Recovery woes: America's second-largest employer is a temp agency
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »
The report also showed another disturbing fact: There are now a record number of Americans with temporary jobs.

Bet they didn't count all of the part-time jobs at Wal-Mart...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Oceander

Re: Recovery woes: America's second-largest employer is a temp agency
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:30:27 am »
Temporary and part-time jobs can actually be a benefit to both employees as well as employers.  The biggest problem right now is that government labor/employment policy and law is all aimed at reinforcing the sort of large-scale industrial era labor force we had in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  If those policies were wholly revised and temporary/part-time workers put on an equal footing with the traditional full-time workers - both in terms of the benefits/costs they bear directly as well as the benefits/costs their employers bear - then more individuals would be able to successfully take advantage of the benefits available on a temporary/part-time employment system.

For example, when I was in undergrad I drove city buses for the local town bus system.  All of us drivers were part-timers - even though the core of us usually ended up getting more than 40 hours a week - and because the scheduling system was designed to work around student schedules (the town received substantial support from the university by trying to make it as easy as possible for students to work as bus drivers, and one aspect of this was that most shifts were in three-hour chunks) I was able to fine-tune my work-week so that I had at least one or two days a week where I had most of the 9-5 part of the day available to take care of things like shopping that are hard to do if you spend all week working 9-5.  That effectively gave me the same sort of freedom of schedule that most business owners/sole proprietors have, while still retaining the safety and security of a steady paycheck each week.  Win-win for both me and the bus company.