Author Topic: No TV  (Read 2889 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
No TV
« on: July 07, 2013, 07:16:17 pm »
After 16 years of faithful service, our satellite box has died. All our TV comes through this and, while frequently ignored, the flickering images in the corner of the lounge are company and a distraction. Called the engineers and, after a brief minute of silence for some cheaply made electronics that went well above and beyond it's duty in outlasting 2 TV's and 17 computers/laptops, they gave us the appointment for a replacement and dish reset.

In 9 days time.

No TV at all for 9 days, and it has already been down for a week.

So - I am going to try no TV at all for this period. No streams, no movies, nothing. It might be interesting.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

Re: No TV
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:57:30 pm »
I go nuts when my satellite dish box goes on the fritz. Happened twice last year and took two days to have DISH get out here to -a) fix the satellite and b) replace the box.......... 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
Worth a shot... and if you kick the habit, you don't have to pay that TV licence they have over there.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:40 pm »
OK. End of day one. t wasn't really real to me until I got the engineers date for call out.

Now I don't watch much TV at all, but I found myself reaching for the remote anyway today. Spending a couple of minutes flicking through the channels to decide I want to watch nothing has obviously become part of my routine. Habit, if you like.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:32:11 am »
Good luck!  Send us some post-cards from the rubber room!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:00 am »
OK. End of day one. t wasn't really real to me until I got the engineers date for call out.

Now I don't watch much TV at all, but I found myself reaching for the remote anyway today. Spending a couple of minutes flicking through the channels to decide I want to watch nothing has obviously become part of my routine. Habit, if you like.

My husband & I talked about it for quite awhile (dropping cable tv) and I kept saying, "let's wait until after the election".  Well, he held me to it after the election & I grudgingly agreed.  We dropped the cable and never got the box to get the local channels.  We do get Netflix, The Blaze and Roku channels, but I have found myself watching less tv as time goes by.

I used to keep the television on all the time - although I usually wasn't paying attention to it - now, it's off most of the day except for 2 or 3 hours in the evening.  The shows I watch are exactly the ones I choose to watch and - no commercials (except on The Blaze)!  I love that! 

When my husband returned the boxes and things to the cable company, the woman there asked him why we were cutting cable & he told them there wasn't anything worth paying for on it.  She said she had been hearing a lot of that lately.

:pondering:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:30:35 am »
There are only a couple things I ever watch on TV on anything resembling a regular basis: sports and Lawrence Welk reruns. If there's a good concert on TV, I'll watch that; I have always been a bit of a music buff. I get most of my news online (including here) and write my own weather forecasts. There are a few older shows I like, but you don't see them on TV much anymore.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:58 am »
There are only a couple things I ever watch on TV on anything resembling a regular basis: sports and Lawrence Welk reruns. If there's a good concert on TV, I'll watch that; I have always been a bit of a music buff. I get most of my news online (including here) and write my own weather forecasts. There are a few older shows I like, but you don't see them on TV much anymore.

~ROFLOL~  you and AC are definitely cut from the same cloth.......  0052
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:32:21 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:16 am »
How would I live without "Chopped?"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:48:18 pm by massadvj »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:06:50 am »
After 16 years of faithful service, our satellite box has died. All our TV comes through this and, while frequently ignored, the flickering images in the corner of the lounge are company and a distraction. Called the engineers and, after a brief minute of silence for some cheaply made electronics that went well above and beyond it's duty in outlasting 2 TV's and 17 computers/laptops, they gave us the appointment for a replacement and dish reset.

In 9 days time.

No TV at all for 9 days, and it has already been down for a week.

So - I am going to try no TV at all for this period. No streams, no movies, nothing. It might be interesting.

No Top Gear? Impossible.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 10:11:05 am »
Well - Day 2 went swimmingly. Wound up going to bed at about 9PM instead of the usual 1 AM.

Now the TV is not usable, I have noticed just how much space it takes up in the corner of the room. It is huge. Sure, the top of it is used as a spare book shelf, but it does take space that could be better used for a cabinet for storage.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:58:25 am »
~ROFLOL~  you and AC are definitely cut from the same cloth.......  0052
Some days I swear I inherited my taste in music from my grandparents... I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »
How would I lived without "Chopped?"
Chopped, Person of Interest and the local news are my only must-haves.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 12:26:40 pm »
Chopped, Person of Interest and the local news are my only must-haves.  ^-^

What's "Chopped" about?

What cable networks are they on?

Can't find "Person of Interest"...
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »
Chopped is a cooking competition on the Food Network (Tuesday nights). Person of Interest is a high-tech drama about how the government knows everything we're doing - Thursday night on CBS.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 12:35:41 pm »
Chopped is a cooking competition on the Food Network (Tuesday nights). Person of Interest is a high-tech drama about how the government knows everything we're doing - Thursday night on CBS.

Thanks, Mountaineer!

Was wondering if 'chopped' was about street racers and motorcycles.....and was puzzled why you'd be interested in that.  LOL!

Will look for PoI.....I never watch anything on the "big 3" unless it's a sports event. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 06:34:20 pm »
Thanks, Mountaineer!

Was wondering if 'chopped' was about street racers and motorcycles.....and was puzzled why you'd be interested in that.  LOL!

Will look for PoI.....I never watch anything on the "big 3" unless it's a sports event.

Person of Interest is excellent - one of my favorite shows.  Longmire is another of my favs....... 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »
Well - Day 2 went swimmingly. Wound up going to bed at about 9PM instead of the usual 1 AM.

Now the TV is not usable, I have noticed just how much space it takes up in the corner of the room. It is huge. Sure, the top of it is used as a spare book shelf, but it does take space that could be better used for a cabinet for storage.

the top of it is used as a spare book shelf,

huh????

Seriously, just teasing you.... all my tv's are wall-hung no top to place stuff on.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »
Is Person of Interest similar to Hawaii Five-O....where they catch people using social media and text messages?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:13 pm »

the top of it is used as a spare book shelf,

huh????

Seriously, just teasing you.... all my tv's are wall-hung no top to place stuff on.

:laugh: It's a CRT TV. Weighs about 90 lbs - we are a bit old fashioned in spots

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »
Is Person of Interest similar to Hawaii Five-O....where they catch people using social media and text messages?

Nope........ much more sophisticated.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »
you can probably watch old episodes to get up to speed on netflix, I know you can watch this season at the CBS website,

Offline flowers

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 07:13:13 pm »
Person Of Interest is a really good show. I is on of the better ones right now. That and Elementary. I didn't think I would like either at first.

Offline flowers

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

you can probably watch old episodes to get up to speed on netflix, I know you can watch this season at the CBS website,

You should watch the older episodes. It will help you get up to speed.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 07:49:18 pm »
I'll just start DVRing the series tomorrow night.

Should be able to catch past episodes ON DEMAND.

Thanks!   :laugh: