Author Topic: Can you pass this simple 8th grade exam from 1912  (Read 1439 times)

rangerrebew

Can you pass this simple 8th grade exam from 1912
« on: July 07, 2013, 08:30:08 am »

If you can't, thank liberalism for its insistence that standards be lowered so people don't fail and hurt their egos. :raise hand:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/answer-sheet/Images/bcschoolexam1912sm.jpg?uuid=iK2ZGD1hEeGEpALeQNubkQ

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Can you pass this simple 8th grade exam from 1912
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »
Glad you posted this.  I saw it a while back and was amazed hoe much our system has been destroyed...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »
I'd probably fail the math section because I just suck @ math.  Off the top of my head I was able to answer most of the other questions.

A few of the questions are now anachronistic, but that's to be expected 100 years later.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:05:35 pm »
Wow amazing how much the left has been able to destroy the school system. Yes I blame the left. Libs kill knowledge and truth IMHO!!!

:patriot:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
I'd probably fail the math section because I just suck @ math.  Off the top of my head I was able to answer most of the other questions.

A few of the questions are now anachronistic, but that's to be expected 100 years later.

Speaking of math.

Yesterday I stopped in at a sub shop after my nail appt to get a beef dip.  What I experienced should scare EVERYONE.  First I said what kind of rolls to you use on beef dip (blank stare).......rolls?  Yes, beef dip normally comes in a roll but you have a list of all these different breads (new shop) but I don't see the type of rolls mentioned (still basically a blank stare).... so I take a different tack.  How do you make your beef dip sandwiches?  "we put them on bread"  :thud: :thud:  Finally I ask:  Do you have rolls?  - what's a roll?  It isn't flat break like for a regular sandwich.  Oh!  -- she holds up a long skinny roll of white bread rolls (I've already decided I should have gone to Rosati's or In and Out or over to Subway but forge ahead) and say okay, I'll take that....... 6" please.  When I see the small container of Au Jus I say I'd like extra Au Jus, please.. 

In the meantime one of the two totally clueless girls comes over to ring me up. I pull out a $20.  She rings it up as $10.41.  I say here is $20 and I have the forty one cents. 

Unfortunately she has already hit the cash key that shows change back of $9.59.  Handing her the forty one cents has totally confused her and she tries to be subtle and add it up on a small piece of paper -- which I see and I tell her I gave you $20.41 you only have to give me back a $10 bill.  She give me a blank look and says......... it was $9.59 you only gave me forty one cents  :thud: :thud: :thud:  at this point I take a deep breath and dig out more change to make it fifty nice cents -- not worth trying to give this girl a basic math lesson for eighteen cents.. plus I already decided no money is going in the tip jar........   

So after giving her the additional eighteen cents she hands me a five and four ones. I count the money and tell her she shorted me a dollar.  She said the change back was $9.59. You gave me fifty nine cents so the change is $9.......... I say no the bill was $10.41 I gave you a $20 and fifty nine cents, I only owed you $10.41 you already charged me extra with the fifty nine cents... my change back is $10 and we'll call it even.  Big sigh she hands me a $1 clearly thinking I just cheated her out of $1.

The other girl now give me my sandwich and the potato salad and Au Jus and I see there is still just the small Au Jus and ask if there is another... Oh, I can't give you more without charging you!  Of course, I say, I realize that, I want more Au Jus and charge me for it, please......... :thud: :thud: :thud:

Shoot me if I EVER go there again.........
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:09:23 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »

Yeah, well, ok, but you forgot to tell us how the sandwich was.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:57:57 pm »

Yeah, well, ok, but you forgot to tell us how the sandwich was.

Terrible, actually.