Author Topic: Radical Muslim cleric pleads innocent to terrorism  (Read 960 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Radical Muslim cleric pleads innocent to terrorism
« on: July 07, 2013, 01:29:42 pm »
Via AP: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/jordanian-prosecutor-radical-cleric-abu-qatada-arrives-jordan-after-deported-uk

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — Radical Muslim preacher Abu Qatada pleaded innocent to terrorism charges in Jordan on Sunday, his lawyer said, hours after a decade-long legal battle ended with his deportation from Britain.

His return was viewed as a victory in Jordan, whose 2001 extradition request was blocked in British and European courts over human rights concerns. Britain and Jordan ratified a treaty last month on torture aimed at easing those worries, clearing the way for his deportation.

Jordan convicted Abu Qatada, 53, in absentia over two separate cases involving al-Qaida linked plans to attack Americans, Israelis and other Westerners in 1999 and 2000. That conviction now has been suspended however in light of the new trial.

Lawyer Tayseer Thiab said his client "told military prosecutors that he is not guilty of terrorism and rejected the charges against him."

In nearly two hours of questioning, prosecutors charged Abu Qatada with conspiring to carry out terror attacks in Jordan twice — once in 1999 for a foiled plot against the American school in Amman and another time in 2000 for allegedly targeting Israeli and American tourists and Western diplomats during new year celebrations.

Abu Qatada was ordered detained Sunday for 15 days pending further questioning, according to one of the prosecutors. He said the cleric will be held at Muwaqar I, a prison in Amman's southeastern industrial suburb of Sahab. The military district attorney banned the publication of the prosecutors' names.

Thiab said he will try to free his client on bail Monday.

More at link.

They certainly snuck him out of the UK quietly enough. Not that I am complaining - keep it quiet to stop the riots and demonstrations.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink