Author Topic: The Origins of the Tea Party [Rush credits TOS]  (Read 992 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The Origins of the Tea Party [Rush credits TOS]
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:39:45 pm »

The Origins of the Tea Party
July 03, 2013

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Here is Bill in Gainesville, Florida.  Bill, I'm glad you waited.  It's great to have you on the program today, sir.  Hello.

CALLER:  Hey, Rush, I'm honored.  I think this is a great segue, I hope.  I'm grateful for Mr. O'Keefe.  I'm 53 years old and single. I'm self-employed. I've got a big footprint. I've got six kids that I've raised here in Gainesville, Florida, and the only ability that I feel like I have is my vote, and I wanted to ask you about the birth of the Tea Party.

RUSH:  Yeah?

CALLER:  I think it was before Obama.  I think because of John McCain's attack on the First Amendment with McCain-Feingold and Senator Grahamnesty, you know? I voted for Ronald Reagan first time and --

RUSH:  Well.  Now, this is an interesting point.  Clearly the Tea Party just didn't arise overnight.  It was slowly building, and I think you're right.  I think the Tea Party's roots actually can be traced to the Republican Party's open abandonment of conservatism.  But my only point about Obamacare is Obamacare and Obama and the debt and the spending is what brought them out of their homes to start attending town hall meetings and getting organized as a political movement to the extent that they did.  There's no question the sentiment that propelled them was in their hearts long before they started showing up anywhere.

CALLER:  I was able to watch my adult children greet George W. Bush at the airport with enthusiasm, and since then they've kind of turned me on to Ron Paul.  Last time I wrote him in, and before that I voted for Chuck Baldwin, and I don't say that, you know, without, you know... My father came home on a hospital ship in World War II, there are a lot of sacrifices made for us.

RUSH:  I understand that.  You know, Ron Paul's got some supporters out there, but he was never gonna win the presidency.  It was splitting votes.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH:  You know, it's interesting to try to pinpoint exactly when the Tea Party began.  Now, the modern incarnation of the Tea Party as we understand it is a television phenomenon, and that was Obamacare.  Obamacare and the stimulus, the debt and the spending, is what motivated people who were already thinking in a different way. Some people might think that the Tea Party's origins really could be traced back to Clinton.

There was a group back in the 1990s -- and they still exist. There was a group in the 1990s that were malcontents, renegades, and off the mainstream plantation of conservatism as articulated by the party. Those were the people that were the early participants in the website Free Republic.  They were known as Freepers.  They were... I say all this in a positive sense.  I don't want any negative connotation.

But they were one of the first visible groups of people off the reservation.  And by that I mean abandoning the Republican Party's confined definitions of conservatism.  They were one of the first modern era groups of people to openly express dissatisfaction with the Republican Party the large.  I think Clinton inspired a lot of that.  It went somewhat dormant during the Bush years.

But even then these people were very distressed at what they were seeing on the spending side. They were really, really troubled because of what it was going to mean to their kids and their grandkids, all this debt.  It was going to impede the creation of wealth as the government grew bigger and became more and more in debt, the government swallowed more and more of the private sector.

more at: http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/07/03/the_origins_of_the_tea_party

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: The Origins of the Tea Party [Rush credits TOS]
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »
A lot of us right here at TBR were part of that group Rush speaks about......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:48:52 pm »
A lot of us right here at TBR were part of that group Rush speaks about......

Very few of the original are left and they certainly don't lead any longer. They now are similar to what O'Keefe said earlier in the show regarding a circular firing squad.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »
I read about the Tea Party, before it was mentioned on TOS. The original TP movement was NOT about the topics which dominate TOS, namely abortion and homosexuality.

The TP movement, successful in 2010, was about fiscal issues.

Seeing the success of the TP movement, TOS started acting like it invented the movement.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:58:16 pm »
I read about the Tea Party, before it was mentioned on TOS. The original TP movement was NOT about the topics which dominate TOS, namely abortion and homosexuality.

The TP movement, successful in 2010, was about fiscal issues.

Seeing the success of the TP movement, TOS started acting like it invented the movement.

Naturally there are members there who are leaders in these movements  and are active, but the site itself hasn't taken a leadership role in anything since 2000.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:33:37 am »
Notice Rush was careful to say "early participants in the website Free Republic."

Rush, Sean Hannity (I'm not certain about Levin) all have noted what has happened to that site in the last few years.... Hannity used to freely take calls from members if they identified with FR, then there came the day when I heard people call and say they were a FRper and Hannity would cut them off immediately... JR had a tremendous opportunity, but open registrations allowed a lot of DU and KOS trolls and outright nuts start to infest the site and eventually ruin it.  Today it is a shell of the site I joined.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776