Author Topic: Egypt’s chief justice sworn in, pushes to keep the revolution going  (Read 1035 times)

Offline happyg

The chief justice of Egypt's Supreme Constitutional Court, Adly Mansour, took his oath of office early Thursday, taking over as the country's interim president. Among his stated priorities: To keep the revolution going.

The ceremony went forth just hours after Egypt's military forced President Mohammed Morsi from office, The Associated Press reported.

Mr. Mansour will wear his interim president hat until voters select a new leader — and officials have yet to set the date for the election.

His first remarks, AP reported: "I offer my greetings to the revolutionary people of Egypt. ... I look forward to parliamentary and presidential elections held with the genuine and authentic will of the people. The youth had the initiative and the noblest thing about this glorious event is that it was an expression of the nation's conscience and an embodiment of its hopes and ambitions. It was never a movement seeking to realize special demands or personal interests."

He added that the revolution has to go on, in order to "stop producing tyrants," AP said.

Mr. Morsi was Egypt's first democratically elected president. He was ousted on Wednesday and placed under house arrest. The whereabouts of his house detainment is not known.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/4/egypts-chief-justice-sworn-pushes-keep-revolution-/#ixzz2Y5jIaGiT
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter