Author Topic: Independence Day Celebration Thread  (Read 1855 times)

famousdayandyear

Independence Day Celebration Thread
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
I'll start with Paul Harvey:  Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacred Honor

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgfknG8hhg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgfknG8hhg</a>
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:24:29 AM by famousdayandyear »

famousdayandyear

Re: Independence Day Celebration
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »

Although Benjamin Franklin helped create the American rattlesnake symbol, his name isn't generally attached to the rattlesnake flag. The yellow "don't tread on me" standard is usually called a Gadsden flag, for Colonel Christopher Gadsden, or less commonly, a Hopkins flag, for Commodore Esek Hopkins.

These two individuals were mulling about Philadelphia at the same time, making important contributions to American history and the history of the rattlesnake flag.

Christopher Gadsden was an American patriot if ever there was one. He led Sons of Liberty in South Carolina starting in 1765, and was later made a colonel in the Continental Army. In 1775 he was in Philadelphia representing his home state in the Continental Congress. He was also one of three members of the Marine Committee who decided to outfit and man the Alfred and its sister ships.

Gadsden and Congress chose a Rhode Island man, Esek Hopkins, as the commander-in-chief of the Navy. The flag that Hopkins used as his personal standard on the Alfred is the one we would now recognize. It's likely that John Paul Jones, as the first lieutenant on the Alfred, ran it up the gaff.

It's generally accepted that Hopkins' flag was presented to him by Christopher Gadsden, who felt it was especially important for the commodore to have a distinctive personal standard. Gadsden also presented a copy of this flag to his state legislature in Charleston. This is recorded in the South Carolina congressional journals:

"Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattle-snake in the middle, in the attitude of going to strike, and these words underneath, "Don't Tread on Me!"

famousdayandyear

Re: Independence Day Celebration
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
Re: Independence Day Celebration Thread
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
Sorry, but after the debacle that happened in November... this is not a free country. It is a shell of a nation dominated by morons, lemmings, and corrupt usurpers. Those that truly love our independent country are now outnumbered by those that love dependency, and we have no way to break from them. It is a true shame.

We are all imprisoned in the welfare state that is the United States of America. I, for one, will no longer celebrate Independence Day unless America wakes up.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:33:44 PM by jmyrlefuller »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »
Sorry, but after the debacle that happened in November... this is not a free country. It is a shell of a nation dominated by morons, lemmings, and corrupt usurpers. Those that truly love our independent country are now outnumbered by those that love dependency, and we have no way to break from them. It is a true shame.

We are all imprisoned in the welfare state that is the United States of America. I, for one, will no longer celebrate Independence Day unless America wakes up.

Agreed, jmy.  I started the thread so I can remember what Independence Day is all about--whether Americans chose to honor the sacrifices or not.  And thank you for your post.  Liberty must prevail and it may require some of us to give everything to fight for it.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
I'll start with Paul Harvey:  Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacred Honor

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgfknG8hhg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgfknG8hhg</a>

~LOL~ you won't believe this... for some very strange reason I dreamed about Paul Harvey last night.... no rhyme or reason for it.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
From humorist Erma Bombeck:

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism."

Happy 4th everybody and God bless America.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:41:49 PM by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
The one here was a bust for me since the flyover was canceled by the "sequester."

Instead, getting ready to watch the one in Atlanta since my favorite member (former though she maybe) of Celtic Woman will be singing tonight.  I know she's doing O'America (caught it on the sound check earlier today), but not sure the other song yet, although I get the feeling it may be the Star Spangled Banner.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vwXbQZvJo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vwXbQZvJo</a>

famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
Ha Ha Ha!  Love it.

Our local fireworks show just completely sucks.  I watched it online.  Never more than 1-3 fireworks fired @ once.  The one I watched in Atlanta and then in Houston is a million times better.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »
We had the typical small town fireworks. Nothing fancy.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:40:48 PM »
Me....I like the small town fireworks.  To hell with DC and NYC

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
Me....I like the small town fireworks.  To hell with DC and NYC

Yeah, but compared to what AB posted, ours still sucked.  "Small town" is one thing.  A badly done show is another and we always get the latter because every organization involved are a bunch of cheapskates.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 11:57:44 PM »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »
Yeah, but compared to what AB posted, ours still sucked.  "Small town" is one thing.  A badly done show is another and we always get the latter because every organization involved are a bunch of cheapskates.

Understood.  Cheap sucks.  So does spite.  Obama cancelled the traditional shows here in NC for the families stationed at Fort Bragg (Fayetteville) and Camp LeJeune (Jacksonville NC) out of pure spite.  Private companies offered to pay for them--still no shows.  But he drops 100million crawling around Africa--I hate the SOB

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 12:32:17 AM »
Understood.  Cheap sucks.  So does spite.  Obama cancelled the traditional shows here in NC for the families stationed at Fort Bragg (Fayetteville) and Camp LeJeune (Jacksonville NC) out of pure spite.  Private companies offered to pay for them--still no shows.  But he drops 100million crawling around Africa--I hate the SOB

No flyovers for the same reason.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 12:34:54 AM »
Abaraxas - nice photos.  Hope you (and all) had a great Independence Day wherever you are.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
Abaraxas - nice photos.  Hope you (and all) had a great Independence Day wherever you are.

My CA friends who have relocated to FL and have a home here's son, DIL, grandkids and another couple and their daughter came out for the weekend, I went over there for a BBQ and to watch the fireworks and the kids play with their sparklers.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 02:00:38 AM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 03:15:36 AM »
President Reagan's Address to the Nation on Independence Day - 7/4/86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ynIW7CN08sc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf