Author Topic: How To Thank A Soldier by George W Bush  (Read 1130 times)

famousdayandyear

How To Thank A Soldier by George W Bush
« on: July 04, 2013, 03:10:41 am »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: How To Thank A Soldier by George W Bush
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:22:52 am »
There are many ways:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/how-to-thank-a-solder-by-george-w-bush

HT: Weasel Zippers, Buzzfeed

This is very true!

One thing the eight guys I spent time with last month said is they get embarassed when people keep saying "thank you" because after a while they don't how to respond.  We told them just say thanks....

6. Sometimes it’s important that you treat a soldier the way you would treat anyone else.

Pretty much what we did last month.  I truly enjoyed spending time with and cooking for these guys. One even came in one evening while I was cleaning up in the kitchen of the houseboat and started doing dishes, I told him he didn't have to do it and he said he enjoyed doing normal things like this... later we sat and talked up on top of the houseboat admiring the stars and discussing his family and career plans....  If asked I will do this again next year....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:38:24 am »
This is very true!

One thing the eight guys I spent time with last month said is they get embarassed when people keep saying "thank you" because after a while they don't how to respond.  We told them just say thanks....

6. Sometimes it’s important that you treat a soldier the way you would treat anyone else.

Pretty much what we did last month.  I truly enjoyed spending time with and cooking for these guys. One even came in one evening while I was cleaning up in the kitchen of the houseboat and started doing dishes, I told him he didn't have to do it and he said he enjoyed doing normal things like this... later we sat and talked up on top of the houseboat admiring the stars and discussing his family and career plans....  If asked I will do this again next year....

Happy Independence Day, Rap.  Hope you can be with those great guys again!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 04:11:01 am »
Happy Independence Day, Rap.  Hope you can be with those great guys again!

Same to you Famous.

I hope to do it again as well.  You saw the pics, right? 

One of the guys - a Marine Gunnery Sgt.  Has had his back broken three times. He's a 30-year police office and Marine Reserves who did three tours in Iraq. Being retired from the Phoenix PD and the marines... anyway, out of the blue at the end of the weekend he gave me a special Marine shield.. I was blown away when he did it, but he said he so appreciated talking with me that he wanted me to have it..  I found it was best just treating them like a big brother... one of the guys on my boat was an extreme introvert.... but one of the other men works for the VA and found out he had not been hooked up with the VA for any treatment for his shoulder injury or mental evaluations and took all his info so he could work on getting him the help he needs...... I think it is good to do as much of these group things as possible so these men can network, too...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:11:21 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:26 pm »
Just an FYI, here are two more ways we can help veterans of the wars:

Samaritan's Purse "Heal Our Patriots" program: Operation Heal Our Patriots gives wounded veterans and their spouses the opportunity for spiritual refreshment, physical renewal, and marriage enrichment. Couples participate in Biblically-based seminars that help strengthen their relationships with God and others and enjoy the beauty of God’s creation with outdoor activities at our Alaskan wilderness lodge. We continue to support these men and women after their initial stay, keeping their spiritual needs and marriages a priority...

https://ourbravest.org/    Building for America’s Bravest is a program of the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation that builds Smart Homes for our most catastrophically injured service members returning home. Each home is custom designed to address the unique needs of each individual. Energy efficient, automated and easily accessible—these homes use "adaptive technology" to help our most severely injured heroes live better, more independent lives...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:11:04 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:10:31 pm »
This morning, Fox's Megyn Kelly did a long interview with some of our wounded who are receiving smart homes.   Great segment.  Also fascinating... even their kitchen cabinets slide up and down so they can reach top shelves....  they point out in addition to making their own lives more comfortable, it frees their spouse-caretakers up to actually leave the home to go shopping, run errands, etc., and gives them a sense of normalcy to be able to do things for themselves, like shower, go potty, etc.