Author Topic: The Asch Experiment - [Power of group-think over individual]  (Read 1174 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qA-gbpt7Ts8

During the 1950s Solomon Asch conducted and published a series of experiments that demonstrated the degree to which an individual's own opinions are influenced by those of a majority

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:17:32 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: The Asch Experiment - [Power of group-think over individual]
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:32:44 pm »
Not even sure I can bring myself to watch it because I'll find it so depressing.  8888crybaby

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 01:48:34 pm »
Not even sure I can bring myself to watch it because I'll find it so depressing.  8888crybaby

LOL!   I know what you mean.

But....it's only 2 minutes and it shows how one person thinking he's one of five subjects...while he's the ONLY one being tested.

Applies to eyewitness testimony as well as political parties.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »
It is also true that the lower one's self esteem, the more likely the effect will take hold.  So the Democrats do everything they can to lower the expectations and self-esteem of the public.  And no wonder the MSM inundated the public with phony polling throughout 2012.  If you have a big enough megaphone, the polling drives the results.

What we are seeing in our politics is the application of years of social science research.  Much of it is bogus, but the concept of "groupthink" is very real.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:02:40 pm by massadvj »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:02:45 pm »
No wonder the MSM inundated the public with phony polling throughout 2012.  If you have a big enough megaphone, the polling drives the results.

A great observation, Victor!    :patriot:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 02:12:55 pm »
What Free Republic has become is a great example of it.  :thud: