Author Topic: After Taking the Fifth, Lois Lerner Wants Immunity Over IRS Scandal  (Read 1300 times)

Offline happyg

Surprise surprise. After making an opening statement during a congressional hearing weeks ago on the IRS targeting of conservative groups and then pleading the fifth, Lois Lerner wants immunity. As a reminder, Lerner is the head of tax exempt organizations for the IRS and admitted the agency inappropriately targeted conservative groups between 2010 and 2012 after being asked a planted question at a conference. She has been put on paid administrative leave for the summer.

Embattled IRS official Lois Lerner will not testify before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee unless she’s given immunity from prosecution, her lawyer told POLITICO Tuesday.

“They can obtain her testimony tomorrow by doing it the easy way … immunity,” William W. Taylor III said in a phone interview. “That’s the way to resolve all of this.”

The comments reflect the hard-line approach Lerner, the former head of the IRS division that scrutinized conservative groups, and her legal team are taking in defending her role in the agency’s scandal.

The frustrating part of this whole thing is that unless Lerner is granted immunity 1) we won't get her testimony 2) we won't get the full truth about exactly what happened within the IRS when it came to targeting and the conservative BOLO list (be on the lookout) 3) the idea of holding anyone in contempt has become a joke thanks to Attorney General Eric Holder.

Taylor, a founding partner of Zuckerman Spaeder LLP, is even shrugging off the possibility that the full House might vote to hold Lerner in contempt.

“None of this matters,” he said. “I mean, nobody likes to be held in contempt of Congress, of course, but the real question is one that we’re fairly confident about, and I don’t think any district judge in the country would hold that she waived.”
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/07/03/after-taking-the-fifth-lois-lerner-wants-immunity-over-irs-scandal-n1633351?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Offline Rapunzel

Re: After Taking the Fifth, Lois Lerner Wants Immunity Over IRS Scandal
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »
If she needs immunity then she lied in her opening statement that she "did nothing wrong."
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:05:27 pm »
If she needs immunity then she lied in her opening statement that she "did nothing wrong."

Yep! That's probably why she wants immunity. Perjury is a no-no!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:26:37 pm »
Surprise surprise. After making an opening statement during a congressional hearing weeks ago on the IRS targeting of conservative groups and then pleading the fifth, Lois Lerner wants immunity.

Be fun to offer amnesty to one person and one person only just to see all the rats trying to be the first person through the door...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »
Amazing I thought the IRS did nothing wrong?    LOL!   :patriot:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:45:29 pm »
Amazing I thought the IRS did nothing wrong?    LOL!   :patriot:

Isn't that what the puppet O put in there claimed last week?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:54:17 pm »
Be fun to offer amnesty to one person and one person only just to see all the rats trying to be the first person through the door...

They should give her immunity, providing she does rat the rest of them, but I don't think she will. She is more afraid of this administration than she is of Congress.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 07:20:43 pm »
They should give her immunity, providing she does rat the rest of them, but I don't think she will. She is more afraid of this administration than she is of Congress.

Agreed

Offline evadR

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »
What good is congressional immunity?
Ollie North had congressional immunity and was prosecuted anyway.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 07:36:50 pm »
What good is congressional immunity?

Ollie was a Republican serving a Republican President.  No promise made to a Republican need be kept.  Only promises to rats must be kept...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 08:09:29 pm »

Yes, but recall North's conviction was thrown out because his testimony before Congress was improperly used at his trial.

I have heard it argued that Lerner should be offered use immunity, as repugnant at that may be, since then she can be compelled to testify (or face contempt charges) and perhaps only in this way can the truth of IRS abuses be revealed.

This I disagree with: She is more afraid of this administration than she is of Congress. If compelled to testify I believe she will do so as I expect she will be solely interested in saving her own skin. She only took the 5th, I believe, so as to protect herself from revelations about how she misused her power. Take away that protection and, in true Liberal fashion, she will do whatever is in her own best interest. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:09:51 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams