Author Topic: Philosophy Class  (Read 1094 times)

Offline briskirn

Philosophy Class
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:55:19 am »
I just thought I'd share this story about a Philosophy professor that I had a few years ago. This experience illustrates the liberal brain washing that is college. Kathleen Ramsey was a PHd in a few different subjects. I took her Intro to Philosophy class through the University of Phoenix in order to satisfy a core transfer requirement at my alma mater.

We had to write an essay about how philosophy has changed over the centuries. Part of my response said that bad experiences with abusive authority figures have taught us to question leadership. She gave me a 50% on that assignment (50 for something unrelated, and basically a 0 for saying experience has influenced political philosophies)

For any assignment we were given, if I expressed a desire for smaller government or an aversion to Big Brother, she would give me 0's for that assignment. Her explanation was that this was "not philosophy."  She said that a lot, even though the textbook covered political philosophy.

Another student, Anthony Sanchez, expressed the same view that I did. She publicly insulted him in front of the class and docked both our grades. Towards the end, she was extremely rude to me.

I've had negative experiences with the good old Ivory Tower before. College tends to be liberal anyway for different reasons. I thought this experience was especially shameful because this woman was supposed to be a Philosophy professor, but she was imposing her views on all of us.

I'm a big stickler for citations, so I included the last public forum discussion as an attachment. You bet I filed a formal complaint after I had received my grade.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:56:11 am by briskirn »

Offline mountaineer

Re: Philosophy Class
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »
Sadly, that's a scene that's played out every day in colleges and universities.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »
This story is played out every day in universities and colleges across the country.  The educational culture has become obsessed with sex and political correctness.  The elitists have turned students into overindulgent, oversexed professional consumers who must figure out how to succeed by expressing no sense of personal ambition or initiative.  This means the ass-kissers rise quickly to the top, and those who think for themselves go quickly to the bottom.  Don't think this isn't by design.

It does vary by discipline.  Philosophy is among the worst.  You can still get a pretty decent and balanced education in most of the sciences, criminal justice, engineering and business.  But I am a business professor myself, and I can say unequivocally that only a minority of business professors like free market capitalism.  And that is a real shame.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »
Welcome briskirn! Find yourself a Jesuit - those guys know how to debate philosophy!

Sadly, that's a scene that's played out every day in colleges and universities.

It shouldn't be. It is.

Easy fix though. Make one of the requirements for a teaching position in any college being granted a years worth of hard physical work every 5 years. There are not many conservatives in the fluffy subjects for many reasons, not least we tend to be out working our derrieres off to raise families, start a business, produce something. Academics hide away from the world - know enough of them. Long on theory and big ideas, yet can't change a tire.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:07:25 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
BTW...**(I often talk to mudself in a sorta cool Eminem meets Barry White kinda voice...
often accompanied with plenty of "bitches", "bee-ahhtches", "RAT-finks",
never an N-word, though...NEVER the N-word, etc.) :taz:

We know about most of your little proclivities, Mud. And for the most part we have come to love them, in a non-gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) sort of way, of course.