Author Topic: Study: 'War on gluten' trend misdirected  (Read 1550 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Study: 'War on gluten' trend misdirected
« on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:57 pm »
http://m.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20130701-50609.html

July 1, 2013

“Gluten-free” may have become synonymous with choosing a healthy lifestyle, but research by scientists in Mainz suggested on Monday that shunning gluten may not be the answer.

“Gluten sensitivity” applies to people who have not been diagnosed with Coeliac disease – a genetic autoimmune disorder – but who report a relief of symptoms such as diarrhoea and bloating when they cut gluten out of their diet.

Scientists as of yet have failed to grasp the phenomenon, which researchers from the University of Guttenberg, in Mainz, decided to have a closer look at.

They compared immune responses to traditionally-grown wheat with high-output varieties. Their results found a link between gluten sensitivity and the the Adenosine Triphosphate Amylase (ATI) protein, which is found in larger quantities in high-output wheat.

ATIs are natural insect repellents and modern farming techniques grow high ATI-containing crops to increase their yield. This could explain why gluten sensitivity has been on the rise.

But study author Detlef Schuppan is cautious about interpreting the results. “The whole thing is very new,” he told news magazine Der Spiegel. “We need more data from clinical trials to deduce the consequences for patients.”

Other experts are keen to dispel the myth that a gluten-free lifestyle is healthier.

“Gluten-free diets are of no benefit to healthy people,” said Stephanie Baas of the German Coeliac Society (DZG). “Gluten gives food its taste and holds dough together, giving baked goods a pleasant consistency. When it’s left out, manufacturers have to add more sugar and fat to bread, cake and biscuits.”

She also cautioned against trying to lose weight by adopting a gluten-free diet, pointing to the fact that the more people who adopt a gluten-free diet by choice, the harder it will be to diagnose Coeliac Disease, which is at present only discovered by patients who suffer the adverse consequences of eating it.

If left undiagnosed, Coeliac disease could lead to further complications such as osteoporosis and intestinal tumours.

Dieticians also warn consumers not to be taken in by deceptive labelling.

In Germany there have been cases of cheese and plain chocolate being labelled as “gluten-free,” though neither of the products normally contain gluten. And in Spain, even some brands of mineral water make the claim.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Re: Study: 'War on gluten' trend misdirected
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:48:36 pm »
I know a few people who have adopted a radical diet (gluten-free, of course) for no apparent reason, as they've never had any issues with foods containing gluten. They tend to look unhealthy, as I doubt they're getting enough nutrients from carrots, or whatever constitutes the bulk of their diet. Just another fad, it seems.

On the other hand, my niece has severe and painful reactions to any foods that  aren't completely gluten-free, but at least her diet is medically prescribed, not just because she wanted to jump on the bandwagon.  :eatdrink: (Popcorn is okay!)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:35 pm »
“Gluten sensitivity” applies to people who have not been diagnosed with Coeliac disease – a genetic autoimmune disorder – but who report a relief of symptoms such as diarrhoea and bloating when they cut gluten out of their diet.

Scientists as of yet have failed to grasp the phenomenon, which researchers from the University of Guttenberg, in Mainz, decided to have a closer look at.

Have they tested for placebo effect?  diarrhoea and bloating are very nebulous, ill-defined symptoms - one person's diarrhoea is another's nice easy sh&t - and this therefore smells (pardon the pun) more like a case of the bandwagon effect and less like a case of a genuine reduction of actual symptoms.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »
I know a couple of people here that swear if they eat anything with gluten it makes them really ill.  I have tasted those anti-gluten recipes....yuck! the majority of them taste real awful.  :seeya:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »
I know a couple of people here that swear if they eat anything with gluten it makes them really ill.  I have tasted those anti-gluten recipes....yuck! the majority of them taste real awful.  :seeya:
I found it curious that the gluten-free diet only allowed three types of grains: 1) grains so rare the average person could  never get access to them, or afford them on a regular basis anyway, 2) rice and 3) corn (the favorite grain of Iowa lobbyists). I can't help wondering if the whole hype about Celiac is more political than medical... drive out the wheat and oat farmers in favor of the politically powerful corn farmers.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:23:25 pm »
I make gluten-free black bean brownies for my niece and they are fantastic. No corn, rice or quinoa!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:29:57 pm »
I make gluten-free black bean brownies for my niece and they are fantastic. No corn, rice or quinoa!

Fantastic, you say? Recipe, please.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »
Gluten-free Black Bean Brownies (from food.com)

1-15 oz. can black beans
3 eggs
3 Tblsp. oil
1/2 c.  cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk chocolate chips

Combine black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla and sugar in a blender. Blend till smooth. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the mixture.

Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes, until top is dry and edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan.

If you like, sprinkle more chips on top as soon as you take the brownies out of the oven, and spread around like frosting.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 05:08:07 am »
Ty, Mountaineer.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams