Author Topic: Egypt's military issues 48-hour ultimatum  (Read 1865 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Egypt's military issues 48-hour ultimatum
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:07:56 pm »
Via AP: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/egypt-heads-2nd-day-anti-president-protest

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's military has issued a 48-hour ultimatum to the Islamist president and his opponents to reach an agreement or it will intervene to put forward a political road map for the country and ensure it is carried out.

The statement Monday described as "glorious" the mass protests on Sunday that brought out millions of Egyptians calling for President Mohammed Morsi's ouster.

The military underlined it will "not be a party in politics or rule." But it said it has a responsibility to act because Egypt's national security is facing a "grave danger," according to the statement, read out on state television.

Too short to excerpt.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

Re: Egypt's military issues 48-hour ultimatum
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
Via AP: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/egypt-heads-2nd-day-anti-president-protest

Too short to excerpt.
this would be great news.....except bammy sent our troops to help Morsi didn't he?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »
this would be great news.....except bammy sent our troops to help Morsi didn't he?

That he did. 400 or so, with teams on standby in both Sicily and Spain, as well as about 3000 Marines in the Red Sea. (Reports of 4000 in the Red Sea area are inaccurate since the USS Kearsage has been deployed to Jordan and her Marine contingent Are currently somewhere on the northern border.)

Interesting times ....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »
The text of the statement. Note - I can not vouch for the accuracy of the translation.

Egypt and the world have seen protests by the great Egyptian people expressing their view and their will in a peaceful, civil and unprecedented manner. Everyone saw the movement of the Egyptian people and heard their voice with care and respect. It indispensable that the people get a response to their action and their demands from all parties that hold responsibility in these dangerous circumstances.

The Armed Forces is a main part of the future and feels it has a national and historic responsibility to protect the nation. Accordingly it confirms the following:

- The Armed Forces won't be part of the political circle or rule, and will not surpass the role that was drawn for it through the democratic thought that came from the will of the people. 

-  National security is facing real danger with the recent developments, which throws responsibilities on all of us, each according to their positions and what needs to be done in order to fend off these risks.

- The Armed Forces had earlier felt the danger of the current situation as well as the demands of the great Egyptian people. That is why it had set a one-week ultimatum for all political forces to come together and help the country out of the current crisis. But this week has passed without any initiative or act. This is what led the people to persistently and autonomously take to the streets in an impressive way, which has raised admiration and attention inside and outside of the country.

- Wasting more time will only lead to more divisions, of which we have been warning.

- The people have suffered and not found anyone to give care and kindness, and this presents a moral and psychological burden for the Armed Forces, which finds it necessary for all to stop anything other than embracing the people, who have proven their readiness to do the impossible if they feel loyalty and dedication toward them.

- The Armed Forces repeats its call to respond to the people's demands and gives everyone a 48-hour deadline to carry the burden of these historic circumstances. [The Armed Forces] won't tolerate anyone doing less than what's needed to carry their responsibility.

- The Armed Forces warns that if the demands of the people are not met, it will be obligated, due to its national and historical duties, out of respect for the demands of the great Egyptian people, to announce a road map and measures for the future that it would oversee in collaboration with all the loyal national factions and currents, including the youth, who were and remain the spark of the revolution, without sidelining anyone.

A salute of appreciation and fondness to the faithful and loyal men of the Armed Forces who have borne and continue to bear their national responsibility toward the Egyptian people with determination, persistence and pride. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:37:57 pm »
I would be estatic about this...............BUT our regime supports Morsi/sharia. If fighting does break out, our troops will be forced to fight with Morsi/sharia.    :patriot:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »
Well, the crowd seems pleased:

NBC Nightly News ‏@nbcnightlynews 29m

MT @AymanM: Egyptian military helicopters with flags fly over #Tahrir Square to the roar of the crowds below #Egypt… http://instagram.com/p/bOuVSanELK/

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »
Well, the crowd seems pleased:
I can't tell from the video, but I am assuming the helicopters are flying non-Morsi flags?

:patriot:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:14:54 pm »
I can't tell from the video, but I am assuming the helicopters are flying non-Morsi flags?

:patriot:

All the ones I have seen have been Egyptian national flags.

Army seems to be trying to stay neutral and not identify with one side or the other.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »
All the ones I have seen have been Egyptian national flags.

Army seems to be trying to stay neutral and not identify with one side or the other.
Thanks!   :patriot:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:29 pm »
ABC has a live feed from Tahir Square:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/live-news-6046305

Looks like one heck of a party! Couple of old friends are there right now.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:36:25 pm by EC »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:36:55 pm »

That he did. 400 or so, with teams on standby in both Sicily and Spain, as well as about 3000 Marines in the Red Sea.

So we have troops in the area available to help out Morsi but we didn't have any to send to Benghazi. Interesting.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:48 pm »
So we have troops in the area available to help out Morsi but we didn't have any to send to Benghazi. Interesting.

At the time, if memory serves me correctly (it usually does but it has been a very long day), you had both the Spain and Sicily contingents, a spec ops team on exercises in Croatia, certainly at least one ship of the same class as the Kearsage with a full Marine contingent in the Red Sea, the airbases in both Bari and Goia del Colle (Not sure which fighter wings were where though - they rotate pretty frequently), assets and advisors in both Egypt and in Algeria, as well as the security detachment of the embassy in Tripoli.

So, nope. No chance of rescue there.

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »
So we have troops in the area available to help out Morsi but we didn't  have want any to send to Benghazi. Interesting.