Author Topic: Nadal Bounced In 1st Round Of Wimbledon; 1st Career Loss In 1st Round Of Major  (Read 1049 times)

Offline flowers

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/06/24/nadal-bounced-in-1st-round-of-wimbledon-1st-career-loss-in-1st-round-of-major/

LONDON (CBSNewYork/AP) — This is one for the history books.

For the second straight year, Rafael Nadal is leaving Wimbledon early after a stunning loss to a little-known player ranked in the hundreds.

In one of the tournament’s greatest upsets, an ailing Nadal was knocked out in straight sets Monday by 135th-ranked Steve Darcis of Belgium — the Spaniard’s first loss in the opening round of any Grand Slam event.

The free-swinging Darcis defeated the two-time champion 7-6 (4), 7-6 (8), 6-4 on Court 1, ending Nadal’s 22-match winning streak and eliminating one of the Big Four of men’s tennis on the very first day of the grass-court Grand Slam.

After serving an ace down the middle on match point, Darcis conceded he was as surprised as everyone.

“Nobody was expecting me to win,” he said. “So I had to play a good match, relax, and enjoy the game. That’s what I did.”

There were no surprises for the other big names: Defending champion Roger Federer, bidding for a record eighth Wimbledon title, and second-seeded Andy Murray both won in straight sets on Centre Court.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
You have to think that perhaps he took the 1st round for granted and partied a bit too long leading up to the match.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

That was a shocker. Now if only the sports guys would talk about tennis, and not the Maria-Serena spat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That was a shocker. Now if only the sports guys would talk about tennis, and not the Maria-Serena spat.
Keep in mind, from a guy's perspective, Maria is much easier on the eyes... :whistle:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Keep in mind, from a guy's perspective, Maria is much easier on the eyes... :whistle:
I have no doubt.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I have no doubt.

What kind of attraction did "my" boyfriend see in Serena Williams?   That's what I'd be wondering if I were Maria.

Then again...is Maria only using the guy to get under SW's scales?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald