Author Topic: AP Source: NSA leaker Snowden's passport revoked  (Read 1518 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AP Source: NSA leaker Snowden's passport revoked
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:59:47 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NSA_SURVEILLANCE_SNOWDEN_PASSPORT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-23-13-44-48

Jun 23, 1:44 PM EDT

By MATTHEW V. LEE
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The former National Security Agency contractor who disclosed a highly classified surveillance program has had his U.S. passport revoked.

A U.S. official on Sunday said Edward Snowden's passport was annulled before he left Hong Kong for Russia. Snowden's travel plans could be complicated - but not thwarted - by a lack of passport. The U.S. official said that if a senior official in a country or airline ordered it, a country could overlook the withdrawn passport.

The former contractor is said to be in Moscow and his allies at anti-secrecy WikiLeaks say Snowden is bound for Ecuador. The foreign minister there says he has requested asylum.

The U.S. official would only discuss the passport on the condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the matter.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: AP Source: NSA leaker Snowden's passport revoked
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »
In other news, the Sun rose in the East again.  The consensus of experts is that it will set in the West tonight.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:28:36 pm »
No country in the world has an extradition treaty with all other countries; for example, the United States lacks extradition treaties with several nations, including the People's Republic of China, Namibia, the United Arab Emirates, North Korea, and Bahrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition

I am not so sure about the People's Republic of China given all that has been in the news of late about Snowden but apparently it's true. I was also always under the impression we had no extradition treaty with Brazil but that is not true as we entered into one with it in 1964. Of course there is always the question of whether any of these countries would allow a fugitive entry. Bahrain may not be so bad, but North Korea? I would rather be in Leavenworth, thank you very much.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:21 pm »
Russia can decide to simply not process Snowden....ergo, passport is moot.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »
Russia can decide to simply not process Snowden....ergo, passport is moot.

I believe he is currently "unprocessed" at the Moscow Airport awaiting permission to immigrate into Equador.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:17:43 pm »
Okay....so they fly an unmanned drone on the same route as the intended flight to Ecuador....and blow it up over the Atlantic.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »
No country in the world has an extradition treaty with all other countries; for example, the United States lacks extradition treaties with several nations, including the People's Republic of China, Namibia, the United Arab Emirates, North Korea, and Bahrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition

I am not so sure about the People's Republic of China given all that has been in the news of late about Snowden but apparently it's true. I was also always under the impression we had no extradition treaty with Brazil but that is not true as we entered into one with it in 1964. Of course there is always the question of whether any of these countries would allow a fugitive entry. Bahrain may not be so bad, but North Korea? I would rather be in Leavenworth, thank you very much.

I believe the route they're using is through the extradition treaty the US has with Hong Kong, which still maintains some autonomy despite having been turned over to the PRC decades ago.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:40 pm »
Okay....so they fly an unmanned drone on the same route as the intended flight to Ecuador....and blow it up over the Atlantic.    :laugh:

Drones are not that fast.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

All peoples of the world are the tax-slaves of some government or other.  Notice how it is completely accepted that you cannot travel to another government-controlled patch of ground without their permission and some document tying you back to your tax-paying government of origin.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan