Author Topic: Hagel: Why Shouldn't Women Have 'Same Opportunities' as Men to Serve in Combat?  (Read 1214 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/hagel-why-shouldnt-women-have-same-opportunities-men-serve-combat

Hagel: Why Shouldn't Women Have 'Same Opportunities' as Men to Serve in Combat?
June 21, 2013 - 5:34 AM
By Susan Jones

(CNSNews.com) - Why shouldn't women in the military have the same opportunities as men do? Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel asked on Thursday. It's not a matter of lowering standards, he said.

In remarks at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, Hagel was asked how he feels about putting females on the front lines of combat -- "based on our social background of men being the protectors of women," as the questioner put it.

Hagel's reponse:

First, I think everyone understands, and this is the right thing, we can't lower standards. We have high standards. We should have high standards. Our country has high standards. Our military has always had higher standards. And we need to keep those standards. And so it's not a matter of lowering standards to assist women to get into combat positions -- women don't want that, you wouldn't want that -- and I think to find the right balance of implementation to allow women to move into these new opportunities and new positions if they want, if they're qualified, if they can do the job.

And why shouldn't they have those opportunities? Why shouldn't they have the same opportunities as men do on these?

And so that's essentially my point of view on this. We're working toward that. And I'm proud, again I say, that this institution is doing that. And again I go back to the bigger point of how we integrated our services under Harry Truman. Colin Powell gives some beautiful speeches about that. And you can go run all through these issues.

One blight -- I've referred to it as a scourge -- that we must fix and we will fix is sexual assault. That is a very, very dark mark on all the success of this institution. And I say that because I think we have to connect that also with the larger dimension of what our challenges are.

We will fix it. There's no higher priority, I've said, as secretary of defense than to make everybody accountable all the time up and down the line. And it will get fixed.

Thank you.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rosaleen

I am a female. I was an Army soldier. I was trained in a lot of things but mostly I was trained the same as men were and alongside of men. I was trained at a time when training women for combat was new for a lot of people. I can handle weapons as easily as a man and in some cases better than most. I have never had to kill but I'm confident if lives depended on it I could even though I'm an old "lady".

As far as sexual assault goes, it was going on then and will continue as long as females and males do not stand up for themselves.

While I was in basic training I had drill sgts who offered to "ease my tension" as they called it. I never had one insist when I said no. I did see a lot of stuff going on that I didn't approve of but for the most part I think it was all consensual. I did notice that a lot of other girls told me if I wanted to get pot I should get put on KP. I never did drugs of any kind and detested KP so that wasn't for me.

Later other things happened that would probably have happened had I been not in the Army or had my ex not been in at the time.

First, when I was at AIT I was a friend to a young male who I later found out was gay. His "friends" grabbed me one night and stuck me head first in a snow bank. I was saved from what might have happened by some Army firemen who saw it happening.  Nothing happened to those guys that did that, even though I told my platoon Sgt.

About a year later I was in Colorado and married to another soldier. I had returned from a trip to my parents and was staying in a motel while we hunted for an apartment. One afternoon while my husband was on duty one of his Sgts came to me saying he had a message from my husband. I let him him. He didn't have one. He shoved me on the bed and proceeded to attempt to rape me. I fought back with what I had on hand which was something really dumb sounding when I think back. My husband was a cook and he had brought home in his pocket a meat thermometer with a sharp point. It was on the night stand. I grabbed it and shoved the point into his neck just enough to let him know it was there. I told him calmly that if he didn't get off me immediately it would go in all the way.

I was lucky. He ran out the door screaming at me please don't tell my husband.

My point is that no matter where you are or what you are doing there will always be men who want what they want and its up to women to be prepared for that. 

Sexual assaults happen all the time no matter who, no matter where, no matter your job. No woman should let that scare her into not being what ever she wants to be. It's archaic to say or think that we can't do the job a man can because we are afraid of sexual assault. It is our job to be able to take whatever is at hand and defend ourselves.

As for fellow male soldiers wanting to protect fellow female soldiers just because they are female is also an archaic assumption.  Perhaps back in WW2 that might have been true. I would like to hope that soldiers of today are better taught their jobs. It is the duty of each soldier to do his assigned task or job and not to worry about coddling another soldier even if that soldier is female. That female soldier is taught her job as well and wouldn't be there in the first place had she not shown she was capable of the task. Nobody held her hand when she was in training and nobody should patting the "little lady" now and saying they will protect her. In most cases she could protect them should the need arise.

When you are a trained soldier you have a job to do. You are fully trained whether you are male of female and that job should come first not protecting the "little lady" cause she might break a nail. Women are a lot tougher than most guys think they are.

I'm going to go polish my nails now. I think I chipped one typing that. Ouu. Someone protect me....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Love your post Rosaleen..it's nice to have another vet here....welcome to TBR
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

Welcome, Rosaleen, nice to have you here.. Good post.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Good post Rosaleen! Welcome!  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline evadR

Nice post Rosaleen. Let me say if I were walking down a dark alley, I wouldn't mind having you walking next to me.
Welcome to the club.
Now, I'm going to paint my nails also. Thinking about lavender.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline happyg

I enjoyed your post, Rosaleen. It's good to see a woman's perspective who doesn't have an agenda. My son speaks highly of a female in his unit. She is truly their equal.

Offline Rosaleen

Thank you all! Glad to be here!