Author Topic: Medical care lags behind Afghan military growth  (Read 1201 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Medical care lags behind Afghan military growth
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:51:35 am »
Yahoo News, via the AP feed: http://news.yahoo.com/medical-care-lags-behind-afghan-military-growth-072300384.html

FORWARD OPERATING BASE SHINWAR, Afghanistan (AP) — The young Afghan soldier lay in great pain on a cot at an army base, his uniform pants cut up to his thigh so medics could clean the wound in his right knee where he was shot fighting insurgents.

The medics bandaged him and gave him morphine and an IV bag of fluids. But they couldn't stitch up the wound or give further care because there's no medical doctor at the base in the eastern province of Nangarhar. The base's two-room medical facility is run by a dentist, and its nine medics have only basic medical training. The wounded soldier had to wait overnight in the clinic until it was safer to drive him about 50 kilometers (31 miles) to a more sophisticated medical facility in Jalalabad.

The Afghan National Army faces a shortage of doctors, even as the number of wounded soldiers soars during a fierce wave of Taliban attacks. While the U.S.-led military coalition has praised the Afghan security forces' rapid growth and improving skills, its military medical program hasn't kept pace.

The Afghan National Army has only 632 medical doctors — 72 short of its goal — to care for about 177,000 soldiers nationwide. At the same time, its clinics are having equipment, supply and logistical problems.

More at link.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: Medical care lags behind Afghan military growth
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:01 am »
The Afghan National Army has only 632 medical doctors — 72 short of its goal — to care for about 177,000 soldiers nationwide. At the same time, its clinics are having equipment, supply and logistical problems.

I was in A-stan early ('03-'04). We gave those little ******** 24 brand new, fully equipped ambulances. Within 1 month, we found 3 that were wrecked (total loss), and 12 that were "converted" into rolling whore houses with darkened windows, sound systems, lighting, etc. The few that weren't soup-sandwich were under the eyes of US military. Afghans seemed to think that we gave them a gift vs the fact that we issued them a piece of equipment for a specific purpose.
The Afghans never viewed us as more than a sugar-daddy who would give them everything, and when the gift broke, we would give them more. We never taught them accountability.
Stupid way to run a war.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:09 am »
02 - 03, eh? Part of Herrick or a different operation? Now THAT was an epic clusterf*** :patriot:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:23:24 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:52:31 am »
What were the goat sex advances during that same period?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.