Author Topic: Haze casts shadow over Singapore-Jakarta ties  (Read 896 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Haze casts shadow over Singapore-Jakarta ties
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:43:15 am »
Via al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/06/201362063145903921.html

Indonesia has accused Singapore of "behaving like a child" by complaining about severe haze from raging forest fires on Sumatra island that has cloaked the city-state.

"Singapore should not be behaving like a child and making all this noise," Agung Laksono, the minister who is coordinating Indonesia's response to the haze crisis, told reporters in Jakarta on Thursday.

Laksono was responding to Singapore's demands earlier on Thursday for "definitive" action by Indonesia to quell forest fires raging in Sumatra.

Air quality has deteriorated to "hazardous" levels in both Singapore and Malaysia over the past few days as smoke from forest fires in Indonesia obscured skies and disrupted businesses and travel.

A technical meeting between Indonesian and Singaporean officials is scheduled during which Indonesia will share information on what it has been doing and will listen to concerns from Singapore.

More at link.

I love Singapore. It is a wonderful and charming place, but my word, they are totally obsessed with keeping the city clean, including the air and the harbour.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink