Author Topic: Why Men Die Younger Than Women: The 'Guys Are Fragile' Thesis  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Rapunzel

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:53:14 AM by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Why Men Die Younger Than Women: The 'Guys Are Fragile' Thesis
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
Both babies my mother had still-born were boys and my middle sister had a still-born boy baby.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Why do men die first?

They want to.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
Why do men die first?

They want to.

Ah, you beat me to it!    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
Occupational hazard!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »
This is malarkey.

It has nothing to do with being fragile or weak. Feminists might want to think that, but it's totally false-- in fact, it's almost the exact opposite. On the whole, men are stronger, faster and physically superior to women in almost every aspect (flexibility, a trait necessary for childbirth, being a very important exception). That's why you will probably never see a woman in the NFL, let alone women reaching parity with men in any pro sport. (I'll use the NFL as an example because it is a sport that puts a massive strain on the body, is highly selective, and is well-known.)

Because men are capable of doing more, they usually do end up doing more physical, manual labor, which wears down the body over many years. This extends beyond sex and into race. Black men, for instance, make up about 60% of NFL players, far above the statistical mean. Yet they are well-documented to have much shorter lifespans than their white counterparts. The number of Asians, on the other hand, who play in the NFL can be counted on one hand, yet their lives are typically longer than whites'.

Note that the article admits the gap closes in the physical peaks of a man's and woman's life. The only reason any gap exists at all in those years is "death by stupidity" and the declines in death during childbirth.

One other thing: basic genetics states that men and women should be created at equal rates, so if they're determining more men are supposedly being conceived than women... that can only mean women are not even making it to implantation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:31:26 AM by jmyrlefuller »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »
How about women's bodies are simply more efficient. They have to be.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
Why? Because women don't live with women.  :seeya:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
This is malarkey.

It has nothing to do with being fragile or weak. Feminists might want to think that, but it's totally false-- in fact, it's almost the exact opposite. On the whole, men are stronger, faster and physically superior to women in almost every aspect (flexibility, a trait necessary for childbirth, being a very important exception). That's why you will probably never see a woman in the NFL, let alone women reaching parity with men in any pro sport. (I'll use the NFL as an example because it is a sport that puts a massive strain on the body, is highly selective, and is well-known.)

Because men are capable of doing more, they usually do end up doing more physical, manual labor, which wears down the body over many years. This extends beyond sex and into race. Black men, for instance, make up about 60% of NFL players, far above the statistical mean. Yet they are well-documented to have much shorter lifespans than their white counterparts. The number of Asians, on the other hand, who play in the NFL can be counted on one hand, yet their lives are typically longer than whites'.

I agree with you in part.  Men also endure more prolonged stress in the workplace, although that is probably changing.  Pre menopausal women also have their estrogen to protect them from cardiovascular disease.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
Men put a lot more unnecessary stress on themselves - mostly just for the fun of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf