Author Topic: NSA Lying to you about the nature of their searcches.  (Read 1226 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
NSA Lying to you about the nature of their searcches.
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:26:10 am »
(From FR but actually an excellent and detailed post).

So I'm watching the news today and start seeing our illustrious Bureaucrats Out Right Lying about what they collect and what they don't.

They tell us today they don't collect locations of cell phone trawled for in pursuit of a target named in a warrant.

I want you to understand when they issue a warrant, many times, with "Reasonable Cause" They are violating the Constitution by:
1.  Using "Reasonable Cause" as the basis for a warrant.  The Constitution requires no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause.

2.  supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

As to point 2. above wrap your head around "Whole Pipe" Access.  Here they have granted themselves direct access to the Whole Pipe of transmission of information, be that voice or data and includes every last relevant part of a transmission, including location of cell phone at any time during transmission of wink/wink, keep alive, GPS, txt, email, incoming and outgoing calls.

Whole pipe access trawls every device transitting during the time the NSA, DOJ, DEA and FBI is gathering information on a target.  There is a technical reason for why they do this but, I still believe it is against the law for them to gather information, especially as a matter of habit, course and intent, of innoccent people, organizations, enterprises and groups, who have not been named in the warrant haven't even a tangential relationship to the target named in the warrant.

Service providers are required by to provide all information transmitted by a cell phone, VoIP, PSTN, FAX, VPN, etc inclding CLLI and any and all information that would identify where a transmission geographically begins and ends, as well where the device is when idle.

Now, I purposely misspelled   searcches in the title of the thread.  Why?  Because frequently the information they are targeting is just that much incorrect.  Think about that and what I wrote as you delve into my article explaning the history, laws passed, and technical means.

You'll agree with me, that the NSA and the other alphabet agencies are flat out lying when they claim they don't don't do this or that.  They do because of the technical means they use to achieve their aims and also because they have less reason to not keep all that is caught in the trawling of a Whole Pipe, during their unConstitutional search and they, having no client to defend will, have, do and will continue to archive any all information they obtain unlawfully.

The rest here: http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3032526/posts

Offline Rapunzel

Re: NSA Lying to you about the nature of their searcches.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:53 am »
The bygone days of horse and buggy are looking better in the rear view mirror....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:14 am »
I think we now know what that spiffy new NSA data-center in Utah is for - and it ain't for holdin' copies of all the pron sites on the internet.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:32 am »
I saw a scene in a movie the other day....where this computer-tech wizard doing things any CIA agent would envy...looking down his nose at an old black man counting the day's receipts on a manual---push buttons and pull lever adding machine.

The old guy simply smiles and keeps counting his money.      :laugh:

(Banshee)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:50:49 am »
"Person of Interest" is not the least bit far-fetched, it seems. Great TV show, but an uncomfortable reality.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »
Meanwhile, NYC Police Commissioner Ray Kelly comments:
‘It should not be a secret’: Ray Kelly rips feds phone & Web snooping
By JENNIFER BAIN, NY Post
June 18, 2013

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly launched a stinging rebuke to the federal government’s secret phone- and Internet-monitoring campaign — and suggested leaker Edward Snowden was right about privacy “abuse.”

“I don’t think it ever should have been made secret,” Kelly said yesterday, breaking ranks with other US law-enforcement officials.

His blast came days after the Obama administration and US Attorney General Eric Holder outraged New York authorities by endorsing a federal monitor for the NYPD. Kelly appeared to firmly reject Holder’s claim that disclosure of the monitoring campaign seriously damaged efforts to fight terrorism.

“I think the American public can accept the fact if you tell them that every time you pick up the phone, it’s going to be recorded and it goes to the government,” Kelly said. “I think the public can understand that. I see no reason why that program was placed in the secret category.

“Secondly, I think if you listen to Snowden, he indicates that there’s some sort of malfeasance, people . . . sitting around and watching the data.

“So I think the question is: What sort of oversight is there inside the [National Security Agency] to prevent that abuse, if it’s taking place?”

Kelly has been on the receiving end of just that kind of criticism. The NYPD secretly spied on Muslim organizations, infiltrated Muslim student groups and videotaped mosquegoers in New Jersey for years, it was revealed in 2012. The NYPD said its actions were lawful and kept the city safe.

After the vast federal phone/Internet-monitoring program was revealed, President Obama said he had struck the right balance between ensuring security and protecting privacy.

But yesterday, Kelly indicated Obama was wrong.

“I think we can raise people’s comfort level if, in fact, information comes out as to that we have these controls and these protections inside the NSA,” he said.

Kelly’s allies viewed his criticism as payback for Holder’s decision to recommend — at the tail end of a controversial court case — that a federal monitor oversee the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk program.

“Everything that Ray Kelly does has a purpose,” said City Council Public Safety Chairman Peter Vallone Jr. (D-Queens).

In an interview with PBS’s Charlie Rose that aired last night, Obama said that the NSA has not tapped the phones of American citizens.

“What I can say unequivocally is that if you are a US person, the NSA cannot listen to your telephone calls, and the NSA cannot target your e-mails,” the president said.

Obama also said he is seeking to declassify information about the NSA programs.

“What I’ve asked the intelligence community to do is see how much of this we can declassify without further compromising the program,” he said.

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 02:01:46 pm »
Our conversations could be very useful to those that handle Obamacare, particularly the IRS. They could track conversations between doctors and patients. Even talking about illnesses, medications, and any kind of topic related to Obamacare has the potential to get you in hot water. Imagine talking to you children about financial and health matters. You can bet the IRS will step in and squeeze everything they can out of you, or even fine you...or worse!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »
"Person of Interest" is not the least bit far-fetched, it seems. Great TV show, but an uncomfortable reality.

One of my favorite programs...........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:25:14 am »
"I think we now know what that spiffy new NSA data-center in Utah is for - and it ain't for holdin' copies of all the pron sites on the internet."

Think of it as a giant "recording machine".

Which will record EVERYthing.

I sense their long-term goals reach far beyond simply recording phone calls and email.

Here's a quote from "1984":
========================
"By comparison with that existing today, all the tyrannies of the past were half-hearted and inefficient. The ruling groups were always infected to some extent by liberal ideas, and were content to leave loose ends everywhere, to regard only the overt act and to be uninterested in what their subjects were thinking. Even the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages was tolerant by modern standards.

Part of the reason for this was that in the past no government had the power to keep its citizens under constant surveillance. The invention of print, however, made it easier to manipulate public opinion, and the film and the radio carried the process further. With the development of television, and the technical advance which made it possible to receive and transmit simultaneously on the same instrument, private life came to an end. Every citizen, or at least every citizen important enough to be worth watching, could be kept for twenty-four hours a day under the eyes of the police and in the sound of official propaganda, with all other channels of communication closed. The possibility of enforcing not only complete obedience to the will of the State, but complete uniformity of opinion on all subjects, now existed for the first time."
=======================

Orwell dreamed of a dark future.

Computers and the net have made it truly possible...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »
Orwell dreamed of a dark future.

Computers and the net have made it truly possible...
Exactly.