Author Topic: Man held as four stabbed at mosque in Birmingham  (Read 1142 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Man held as four stabbed at mosque in Birmingham
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:57:48 am »
Via the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22924456

Police have arrested a 32-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder after three men and a police officer were stabbed at a mosque in Birmingham.

Officers were called to the mosque on Washwood Heath Road in Ward End at about 23:00 BST on Saturday.

In a statement, West Midlands Police said three men were found to have suffered stab injuries.

As police arrested the man, the officer was also wounded. All four injured are in a stable condition in hospital.

Officers are conducting patrols in the area in a bid to reassure local people, a spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said.

Mohammed Shafiq, the leader of national Muslim organisation the Ramadhan Foundation, said his thoughts were with the injured and their families.

"I have spoken to someone who lives a few doors down from the mosque and they described hearing an argument between some of the people inside the mosque.

"It escalated into violence and a police officer has been stabbed."

More at link. Bolding mine.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

Re: Man held as four stabbed at mosque in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
The incident began during the final prayer session of the evening.

Ch Supt Alex Murray said the man they arrested was of Somalian descent and that a "sizeable knife" had been used in the attack.
So no "hate crime" charges will be filed, I trust.   :nono:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Man held as four stabbed at mosque in Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:13:49 pm »
Sounds to me the young man had a Jerry McQuire, "....who's comin' with me??" moment.

...and nobody went. :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald