Author Topic: GIANT flying RC Aircraft at TOP GUN!!!  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Rapunzel

GIANT flying RC Aircraft at TOP GUN!!!
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:03:37 pm »
GIANT flying RC Aircraft at TOP GUN!!!

Thought some of you would enjoy this.  A friend posted on Facebook today. My husband used to build and fly these and we had an invite back in the 90's to Top Gun which is by invitation only - it is the best of the best in the modeling/flying community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=15TrKwECmUQ#!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

Re: GIANT flying RC Aircraft at TOP GUN!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:20:02 pm »
Very very cool!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:53 pm »
The people who fly those are diehards of the 1st order.  They cost a fortune, especially the jets.

Too bad they didn't have the B-52; that's a huge model and it actually does have 8 jet engines just like the real thing.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:25 pm »
I've also seen an SR-71 which was a breath-taking RC

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:15:19 am »
The people who fly those are diehards of the 1st order.  They cost a fortune, especially the jets.

Too bad they didn't have the B-52; that's a huge model and it actually does have 8 jet engines just like the real thing.

We had friends in CA who built a Spruce Goose from the actual Hughes plans, the same people also built a flying wing.  I was present for both maiden flights.

Here is the Spruce Goose on static display - you can see how large it is with me standing behind it

and this was pics take of the maiden flight testing at Prado Dam, California

My husband won a lot of trophies with this plane - it was a replica of the British AAA plane, we were able to make contact with the original pilot through the museum in San Diego, he and George wrote back and forth and he even sent us a piece of fabric from his uniform which I used to make the uniform for the pilot for this model

This was the last large model George built before we moved to Arizona and he retired - as AC said it is a VERY expensive hobby...

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 12:17:04 am »
Second one is a British Mosquito, not sure the exact type of the first.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:19:33 am »
Second one is a British Mosquito, not sure the exact type of the first.

It is a Rapide. Both designed originally by the same company. DeHaviland (I know my old planes still ~LOL~) Each model took one year to build.. George was anal about detail, both planes won several Best of Scale and Best of Show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Dragon_Rapide

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 12:21:19 am »
It is a Rapide. Both designed originally by the same company. DeHaviland (I know my old planes still ~LOL~) Each model took one year to build.. George was anal about detail, both planes won several Best of Scale and Best of Show.

I wish I had the talent to build models, but alas, it's one skill I never mastered; probably because I don't have the patience for it.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:26:35 am »
BTW here is a site with pics of the different versions of the Rapide.  The yellow and black George build was the British AAA color scheme and since he always like anything yellow with black it was a no-brainer he was going to build it.  The man who drew the plans lived up in Oregon and even drove down to Irvine to visit with us while it was being built......

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/type.php?p=496

and this is an interesting site about the planes.......

George would have LOVED the internet back then to help with research, we spent a fortune on books and traveling to museums back in those days.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/dehavilland/4.htm

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:30:25 am »
I wish I had the talent to build models, but alas, it's one skill I never mastered; probably because I don't have the patience for it.

We once spent an entire day traveling to hobby shops and other sites in SoCall trying to find a female doll the right scale to use as a stewardess to stand outside the Rapide.. Finally we bought a Barbi doll, which is not human scale BTW and then he cut her off at the waist to make the right scale and I cut up a light weight sweater to make her sweater and fedora, found some fabric for pants to stuff into high top boots and then he used the stuff you dip handles into to coat with rubber to make boots, then painstakenly made leather soles for the boots......  in the black and white photos people actually think it is a real plane because everything is to scale... and she is standing next to the boarding ladder.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 12:32:11 am »
That is beyond dedication.   :beer:

And yeah, Barbie dolls are about as off scale as can be.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:35:56 am »
That is beyond dedication.   :beer:

And yeah, Barbie dolls are about as off scale as can be.

Yep, they are way off in scale. 

We made a good team......   I was one of the few wives who would be actively involved. He gave me kudo's in an article he wrote for a modeling magazine where he had a two-issue cover story and article.  We always did pretty much everything as a team and I was very supportive of this hobby even though it was very expensive, 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:47 pm »
Wow, check this one out....... the sound of the engines is really authentic  to my ear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9owlwlxJxPw

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:30 pm »
Someone did a Concorde, too.. but I like the B17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZeGylHqo7M&feature=player_embedded#at=13