Author Topic: Hoekstra: I Was Briefed on NSA Surveillance by Dick Cheney  (Read 1022 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=509652

Newsmax
Hoekstra: I Was Briefed on NSA Surveillance by Dick Cheney
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 08:22 PM

By: Paul Scicchitano

Pete Hoekstra, the former chairman of the powerful House Intelligence Committee, tells Newsmax TV that NSA surveillance of emails and phone calls date back to the Bush administration and that he was personally briefed on safeguards by then Vice President Dick Cheney in 2004.

“I was briefed by the vice president and then head of the NSA, Michael Hayden, and it was from my perspective a very thorough briefing,” recalled Hoekstra in an exclusive interview on Wednesday. “They talked about what the capabilities of the program were, how the programs functioned, and the protections that were put in place to make sure that American civil liberties were protected.”

The Michigan Republican said that he also met with some of the people who administered the programs and came away convinced “they clearly understood the responsibilities that they had to number one, do their job, but also to protect Americans' civil liberties.”

He believed that the only people at risk would be “foreigners who were outside of the U.S. legal boundaries.” His committee subsequently voted in favor of the cyber snooping, recalled Hoekstra.

“Every time I had the opportunity to — or it was called into question about reauthorizing or supporting this program — moving it into the future, I always supported the program,” he said. “It was a very, very valuable and essential tool to keep us safe.”

Not all members of his committee, however, agreed. “By and large the vast majority of people in the committee supported this program. There were some that always expressed some reservation. Put it this way,” Hoekstra asserted. “If there had been a majority of people in the Intelligence Committee who were opposed to the program, the program would not have continued.”

Hoekstra, who is on the advisory board of LIGNET, a global intelligence and forecasting service based in Washington, D.C., said that he believes NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is a traitor who should be punished.

“I think he’s become much closer to a traitor,” said Hoekstra. “If he had problems with it there were other avenues that he could have taken to highlight his concerns rather than going to the media. He’s jeopardizing our national security.”

Hoekstra said that the Obama administration should do “everything that we can” to extradite Snowden and then prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.
But he also expressed concern that the 29-year-old had been given so much access to classified information.

“Obviously we need to be concerned that Snowden was provided access to this much information,” according to Hoekstra. “There is a real question about, what does a young man like this need access to the kind of information it appears he has at his fingertips, and that he is now releasing to the media?”

In view of the leaks, Hoekstra said there are questions that should be raised with respect to how the intelligence community is “stratifying access to very, very sensitive information.”

He is not as concerned that the U.S. government appears to have so much access to the phone records and emails of its citizens. “Although with the recent IRS scandals — I’m a little bit more concerned,” he acknowledged.

The NSA initiative should be looked at as one piece of a larger puzzle.

“It’s not the total puzzle – but it's a piece of that puzzle and when you put it together with the other capabilities that we have in the intelligence community, it's basically been very effective in keeping America safe over the last 12 years,” said Hoekstra.

Hoekstra said that the NSA program was the first he was briefed on soon after taking the reins of the Intelligence Committee in September of 2004.

“Clearly the NSA has a tremendous amount of information and data at its fingertips and in the wrong hands that could be very, very dangerous,” he cautioned, particularly following allegations that the IRS targeted conservative groups for added scrutiny.

Urgent: Is Obama Telling the Truth on IRS, Benghazi Scandals?

He added that Wednesday’s revelation from Snowden that the U.S. had hacked into some 60,000 targets around the world, including a number in China, was a further breach of national security.

“If he has more specific data that may identify some of these targets, or why they were targeted and these types of things, that would be a more severe compromise,” according to Hoekstra. “But the basic thing that’s happening here is he is confirming publicly what many people have suspected.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Hoekstra: I Was Briefed on NSA Surveillance by Dick Cheney
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:55:18 pm »
The Michigan Republican said that he also met with some of the people who administered the programs and came away convinced “they clearly understood the responsibilities that they had to number one, do their job, but also to protect Americans' civil liberties.”
That probably was the case  - under the Bush Administration.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:41 pm »
I am with Pete Hoekstra, and probably Dick Cheney on this.

Snowden is a traitor, and he should be prosecuted as such. Ellsberg was prosecuted, but that effort was botched by Nixon's operatives.

Individuals cannot simply go off and do anything they like, without consequences. A private or sergeant can't sneak over to the enemy, and tell of America's plans.

Classified national security information is an asset of our country, and deliberately making our country weak, by disclosing such material is certainly not patriotic.

The idea this is now patriotic, since we don't like Obama, is ludicrous.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »
“If he had problems with it there were other avenues that he could have taken to highlight his concerns rather than going to the media.

I keep seeing this assertion by a number of different people but none, to my knowledge, has said what they are. Bring his concerns to his supervisor, the NSA IG (is there one?), the FBI? This administration has clearly shown it cannot be trusted with the personal information of Americans, will use such information against its opponents, and will stonewall to its fullest ability any serious investigations of its activities. If Snowden had used these "other avenues" he may have soon found his character widely besmirched and himself in jail on some trumped up charge, or worse.

This is not to say I approve of what he did but by doing it the story of the NSA's overreach became widely known and now corrections can be made. It's almost like what government apologists say when NSA's wide sweep for information is noted: If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to be concerned about. Well, if the government had done nothing wrong there would be no Snowden and no talk of "treason".
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams