Author Topic: This is what I was doing last week...  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Rapunzel

This is what I was doing last week...
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:26:46 am »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: This is what I was doing last week...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:34:36 am »
Entertaining those heroes was surely an honor...thank you.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:48:40 am »
Wounded Warriors...awesome organization.  I'm on their mailing list and I give regularly, more to them than even the our breast cancer charity, which used to get the lion's share of our donations after my mom's run-in with the dreaded Big C (she's been fine now for years, btw, healthy, happy 71-year-old.)

Wounded Warriors, though...I commend you for any assistance you offered these brave and heroic men and women...MUD :patriot:

No, not that organization.  The official org only gives out about 10% of what they raise.  This was 100% privately organized and funded.  A retired AF Captain works with these vets flying them around the country to medical appointments and has come to know a lot of them, a bunch of people on a website I moderate for Lake Powell got together and last year treated four of these fine men to a weekend all expenses paid - including airfare, Cabella's, Sportsman Warehouse and many more donated fishing gear for them, we had fishing guides take them out fishing each day, fed them and in general made them know we all care about them.   

Antelope Point Marina donated the free use of a houseboat, the AF Captain has his own timeshare and gave up one of his weeks on the boat to be able to use it for this, I was "mom" on one of the houseboats fixing breakfast, lunch, making certain they had their needs attended to, cleaning up after them, etc... one of the guys on my boat has so far had 62 operations rebuilding his legs, he ran over a landmine in a Humvee........ here is a picture of him fooling around in a member of our groups "track" chair (not one of the vets, a private chair) fooling around with the daughter of one of our organizers..

Last year it was four, this year eight, we hope to keep it going and increase the number of attendees, Antelope Point already indicated they will donate the use of a boat and a ski boat for next year.....

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:49:07 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:50:39 am »
This was the group who pulled this together

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:51:48 am by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:52:57 am »
This was the donated houseboat - the guy in red is one of the vets, he is now a PTSD counselor in St, George through the VA.   They ALL have some form or other of PTSD.  One told me if I had slammed a cupboard door they would have all leapt to their feet at once to see what happened...

We had three houseboats altogether

Where we had the main "dinner" area set up......

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:57:12 am by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:01:38 am »
And this was the turnout for the Saturday night fish fry.....  we managed to get a group photo.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:19:29 am »
That was mighty good of you and your friends, and it's nice to have you back.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:39 am »
That was mighty good of you and your friends, and it's nice to have you back.

There is no place on earth to take people who need to unwind and regroup than Lake Powell.. truly my favorite place on earth, they had a great time...  I took about a thousand pics ~LOL~ today it's catching up with me, I have to get some work done and try to go to bed at a decent hour, didn't get much sleep... 

famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:53 am »
great story and pics!  rest up and post more for us to enjoy.  and welcome back!

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:56:29 am »
A "working vacay" for you, but it sure looks like you had fun.  :patriot:

When you get some time, could you post some scenic pics of Powell?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:22:35 am »
A "working vacay" for you, but it sure looks like you had fun.  :patriot:

When you get some time, could you post some scenic pics of Powell?

Be glad to... my favorite place on earth.

Offline Rapunzel

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:42:14 am »
Wow Rap!  That's incredible!  I'm jealous.     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald