Author Topic: Stealth motorcycle for special forces being tested  (Read 1650 times)

famousdayandyear

Stealth motorcycle for special forces being tested
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:19:05 pm »
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22551039/special-forces-considering-stealth-motorcycle

Stealth motorcycle for special forces being tested
By Fox News -
Posted: Jun 10, 2013 2:42 PM EDT Updated: Jun 10, 2013 2:50 PM EDT

As if the government wasn't sneaky enough already!

Zero Motorcycles has created a stealth motorcycle for use by U.S. Special Operations Forces: The MMX.

The all-electric off-roader features a nearly silent powertrain, full blackout capability, wiring for infrared lighting systems and a keyless ignition for quick starts.

"It was a very rewarding experience for the Zero team to go through such an exacting development process. The military needed a very specific set of core features on the MMX, and we were incredibly thankful to work side-by-side with them to deliver such a unique product," said Abe Askenazi, Chief Technology Officer for Zero Motorcycles.

Matte black paint completes its low profile look, and with no intake or exhaust to worry about, the bike can operate when submerged up to one meter.

A pair of modular batteries provides more than two-hours of riding per charge and can be swapped out for fresh packs in a matter of moments.

A fleet of the bikes is currently being evaluated under operation conditions.
2013 Zero MMX Military Motorcycle – Key Features

Specialized military dash for quick and centralized mainline controls
    Keyless ignition engaged with dash toggle for quicker departure
    Modular and quick-swappable power packs
    Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion
    Switchable headlight for night-time stealth
    Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
    Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations
    Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control
    Tie down eyelets with integrated tow cable and rear seat strap

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: Stealth motorcycle for special forces being tested
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:22:00 am »
Infrared lighting? Battery packs? I'm LMAO!

We had 125's back in the day that heliborne Scouts and Scout observers were supposed to use. The concept was simple - a small, lightweight, fast, and maneuverable mode of transportation so they could stay ahead of advancing enemy forces and call in arty fires.

Well..............it didn't last too long. The heliborne scouts were weighed down with excessive amounts of "lightweight" gear (NBC gear, radios, anti-tank mines, light anti-tank weapons, etc, etc, etc.) and the bikes could not handle the load and broke. Platoon leaders could not resist the opportunity to load them up with that next piece of gear. With today's troops carrying their body weight in gear, this thing would be in the scrap heap after one mission.

The Scout observers were to ride their bikes out of the back of the M113 APC to scout ahead. The concept was that the loss of a scout observer on a motorcycle was less costly than an armored vehicle with crew. That didn't last long either since the scout observers were the youngest and most inexperienced members of a crew and constantly injured themselves doing dumb stunts.

Oh yeah........I recall road-marches or infils that lasted hours. No time to pull over and change a battery pack.
IR went out in the mid-90's.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:22:04 am »
 :silly:  Thanks for your experienced insight.  But, but, it looks so cool!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:41:17 am »
Infrared lighting? Battery packs? I'm LMAO!

We had 125's back in the day that heliborne Scouts and Scout observers were supposed to use. The concept was simple - a small, lightweight, fast, and maneuverable mode of transportation so they could stay ahead of advancing enemy forces and call in arty fires.

Well..............it didn't last too long. The heliborne scouts were weighed down with excessive amounts of "lightweight" gear (NBC gear, radios, anti-tank mines, light anti-tank weapons, etc, etc, etc.) and the bikes could not handle the load and broke. Platoon leaders could not resist the opportunity to load them up with that next piece of gear. With today's troops carrying their body weight in gear, this thing would be in the scrap heap after one mission.

The Scout observers were to ride their bikes out of the back of the M113 APC to scout ahead. The concept was that the loss of a scout observer on a motorcycle was less costly than an armored vehicle with crew. That didn't last long either since the scout observers were the youngest and most inexperienced members of a crew and constantly injured themselves doing dumb stunts.

Oh yeah........I recall road-marches or infils that lasted hours. No time to pull over and change a battery pack.
IR went out in the mid-90's.

Yea, but you have to admit, you really want one. Now excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:45:28 am »
Easy to spot:  just look for the wheelies; who could resist poppin' a few with a bike like that?

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:00:55 am »
Yea, but you have to admit, you really want one. Now excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Nah, I want a Mega Force Jet Bike:

It flies!
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.