Author Topic: Report: Iran sets up space monitoring center  (Read 1022 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Report: Iran sets up space monitoring center
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:02 pm »
Yahoo News via AP feed: http://news.yahoo.com/report-iran-sets-space-monitoring-center-060048080.html

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's media says that it has set up its first center to monitor objects passing in orbit overhead.

A Sunday report by the semi-official Irna news agency quotes Defense Minister Gen. Ahmad Vahidi as saying the center will continuously track objects moving in space, and that it is ready to share data with other countries.

The report said President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was present at the inauguration of the center located near the town of Delijan some 200 kilometers (125 miles) south of Tehran.

Iran frequently announces technological breakthroughs that cannot be independently verified. It has long pursued space ambitions aimed at putting its own satellite into orbit and a manned space flight.

The U.S. and its allies worry that the same technology could also be used to develop long-range missiles

Didn't excerpt because it is such a short report.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Re: Report: Iran sets up space monitoring center
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:01:15 pm »
The only moving objects this project will be concerned with are the satellites of countries that oppose Iran.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Report: Iran sets up space monitoring center
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:50:30 pm »
I have had the luck to get both a behind the scenes tour of Mission Control and an ICBM base.

There is almost no difference. Food for thought.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink