Author Topic: Ron Paul talking about computer surveillance in 1984  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ron Paul talking about computer surveillance in 1984
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 07:09:14 pm »
Ron Paul has always been a friggin' nutcase.  Those were his Libertarian Party days. 

Yes.  I'm believing that Ronald Reagan ordered the confiscation of Free Sundae lists from ice cream stores for the purposes of monitoring 18 and 19 year olds.

Sheesh.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
Yes.  I'm believing that Ronald Reagan ordered the confiscation of Free Sundae lists from ice cream stores for the purposes of monitoring 18 and 19 year olds.

Would you mind indicating the point in the tape where Dr Paul said President Reagan ordered this? I believe all he said was it was disquieting that a list from like that somehow wound up  in the government's hands. I, too, find that disturbing though apparently you don't. But, in any case, I missed the part about President Reagan, so please show where that occurred.

Or are you exaggerating once again for what you think creates effect but actually only makes you look silly?

Sheesh.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »

Would you mind indicating the point in the tape where Dr Paul said President Reagan ordered this? I believe all he said was it was disquieting that a list from like that somehow wound up  in the government's hands. I, too, find that disturbing though apparently you don't. But, in any case, I missed the part about President Reagan, so please show where that occurred.

Or are you exaggerating once again for what you think creates effect but actually only makes you look silly?

Sheesh.

I don't believe it.  Ron Paul is, and has always been, a kook.  Nobody paid any attention to him then, nobody pays attention to him now but a bunch of college keggers.

I thought the rule was, if it happened on a President's watch, it's the President's fault. 

Anyway, enjoy posting 29 year old Ron Paul house one-minutes. No doubt there are lots of those.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »
Ron Paul is, and has always been, a kook.  Nobody paid any attention to him then, nobody pays attention to him now but a bunch of college keggers.

Thank you for that extremely well thought out and incisive ad hominem attack. I find those kinds of arguments so very persuasive, or as someone might say: Real powerful stuff there. Not.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
Ron Paul is, and has always been, a kook.  Nobody paid any attention to him then, nobody pays attention to him now but a bunch of college keggers.

Thank you for that extremely well thought out and incisive ad hominem attack. I find those kinds of arguments so very persuasive, or as someone might say: Real powerful stuff there. Not.

It's not ad hominem if it's true.  And all of that is true.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »
The electronic capabilities we are hearing about in the news today, have been publicly known since the Bush administration. There have been documentaries about the NSA since before Obama.

How do you think we took out people with drones, in Yemen and Afghanistan?

Intelligence, military want these capabilities and argue successfully for them, whether the Potus is Bush or Obama.

OTOH going after Obama for abuses by the IRS under his direction, is legitimate political jousting.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 08:36:08 pm »
The electronic capabilities we are hearing about in the news today, have been publicly known since the Bush administration. There have been documentaries about the NSA since before Obama.

How do you think we took out people with drones, in Yemen and Afghanistan?

Intelligence, military want these capabilities and argue successfully for them, whether the Potus is Bush or Obama.

OTOH going after Obama for abuses by the IRS under his direction, is legitimate political jousting.

Most of this technology goes back to Clinton. Just as with all technology, it just has improved over time.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 08:49:07 pm »

I'll take this a bit of a different direction. This is actually a reflection of why Paul was a failure. Paul talked a LOT about a LOT of issues. In this case, it was pretty obvious at the time, heck, what he was saying had been said by everyone from Orwell to Rand to Asimov for a half century before.  Paul has two major problems:

1, gems like this are usually buried with his massive amounts of crazy stuff. I believe the very same year as this, he went on the Morton Downey Jr. show several times decrying the drug war as being a secret CIA front and H.W.Bush being a drug dealer himself.

2. he sabotages everything he claimed to stand for through his lack of leadership. A lot of people talk about a lot of things, leaders do. He had a pattern of taking his 'Dr. No' so far he even opposed incremental improvements, if there was one dot in something he didn't like, he opposed it. He also was a complete failure at getting bills passed. I seem to recall reading he had a total of four bills passed in his entire career and most of them were things like making square dancing a national past time.

In other words, he was about as effective as a homeless man walking down the street talking about the same things.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Paul was notorious for getting pork included in appropriations bills, then voting against the appropriations bills, knowing they'd pass anyway.

He was a colossal hypocrite.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »
Paul was notorious for getting pork included in appropriations bills, then voting against the appropriations bills, knowing they'd pass anyway.

He was a colossal hypocrite.

Can't argue with that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 09:22:13 pm »
Ron Paul was and is an impractical Libertarian.

We need some practical libertarianism in the GOP, however. It was an original core component of the GOP and Ronald Reagan said so. Reagan interview from 1975 follows. GOP leaders and followers would do well getting back to basics and philosophy, instead of calling each other names.

http://reason.com/archives/1975/07/01/inside-ronald-reagan

"REASON: Governor Reagan, you have been quoted in the press as saying that you’re doing a lot of speaking now on behalf of the philosophy of conservatism and libertarianism. Is there a difference between the two?

REAGAN: If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

Now, I can’t say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy. I believe there are legitimate government functions. There is a legitimate need in an orderly society for some government to maintain freedom or we will have tyranny by individuals. The strongest man on the block will run the neighborhood. We have government to insure that we don’t each one of us have to carry a club to defend ourselves. But again, I stand on my statement that I think that libertarianism and conservatism are travelling the same path.

REASON: Governor, could you give us some examples of what you would consider to be proper functions of government?

REAGAN: Well, the first and most important thing is that government exists to protect us from each other. Government exists, of course, for the defense of the nation, and for the defense of the rights of the individual. Maybe we don’t all agree on some of the other accepted functions of government, such as fire departments and police departments–again the protection of the people.

REASON: Are you suggesting that fire departments would be a necessary and proper function of government?

REAGAN: Yes. I know that there was a time back in history in which fire departments were private and you insured your house and then had an emblem on the front of your house which identified which company was responsible for protecting it against fire. I believe today, because of the manner in which we live, that, you can make a pretty good case for our public fire departments–because there are very few ways that you can handle fire in one particular structure today without it representing a threat to others.

REASON: How would you distinguish "socialized" fire departments and "socialized" fire insurance companies? Or would you be in favor of socialized fire insurance also?

REAGAN: No. Nor am I in favor of socialized medicine. But, there’s bound to be a grey area, an area in there in which you ask is this government protecting us from ourselves or is this government protecting us from each other."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln