Author Topic: NSA scandal: what data is being monitored and how does it work?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/07/nsa-prism-records-surveillance-questions?

What is the scandal?

The US's National Security Agency (NSA), its wiretapping agency, has been monitoring communications between the US and foreign nationals over the internet for a number of years, under a project called Prism. Some of the biggest internet companies, from Apple to Google to Yahoo, are involved. The US government confirmed the existence of the scheme and its application on Thursday night.
Which companies are in the scheme?

Microsoft was the first to be included, in September 2007. Yahoo followed in March 2008, Google in January 2009, Facebook in June 2009, Paltalk, a Windows- and mobile-based chat program, in December 2009, YouTube in September 2010, Skype in February 2011 (before its acquisition by Microsoft), AOL in March 2011 and finally Apple in October 2012.
How long has it been going on?

The NSA has allegedly had means of monitoring internet communications as far back as Microsoft's Windows 95, the first version of Windows with built-in internet connectivity, in 1995. This specific project appears to have begun with monitoring in September 2007 of user data going to and from Microsoft.

More at link.

Credit where credit is due - the Guardian is refusing to let this story go.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: NSA scandal: what data is being monitored and how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 03:20:31 am »
"NSA scandal: what data is being monitored..?"

ALL of it. Everything.

That's the purpose of the Bluffdale complex.

A machine that will keep a record of everything. Every phone call, be it land-line, cell, or internet. Every email, including content. Every credit card purchase. Someday, when cars are equipped with GPS, a record of every movement of every vehicle in the country. A record of every communication between every electronic device in the land.

This is right out of Orwell. He would be smiling -- no, laughing!

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:27:51 am »
Switching telecom servers (voice and IP) with CALEA access date back to the late 90s.

CALEA:
The Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) is a United States wiretapping law passed in 1994, during the presidency of Bill Clinton (Pub. L. No. 103-414, 108 Stat. 4279, codified at 47 USC 1001-1010).

CALEA's purpose is to enhance the ability of law enforcement and intelligence agencies to conduct electronic surveillance by requiring that telecommunications carriers and manufacturers of telecommunications equipment modify and design their equipment, facilities, and services to ensure that they have built-in surveillance capabilities, allowing federal agencies to monitor all telephone, broadband internet, and VoIP traffic in real-time.

The original reason for adopting CALEA was the Federal Bureau of Investigation's worry that increasing use of digital telephone exchange switches would make tapping phones at the phone company's central office harder and slower to execute, or in some cases impossible. Since the original requirement to add CALEA-compliant interfaces required phone companies to modify or replace hardware and software in their systems, U.S. Congress included funding for a limited time period to cover such network upgrades. CALEA was passed into law on October 25, 1994 and came into force on January 1, 1995.

In the years since CALEA was passed it has been greatly expanded to include all VoIP and broadband internet traffic. From 2004 to 2007 there was a 62 percent growth in the number of wiretaps performed under CALEA -- and more than 3,000 percent growth in interception of internet data such as email.[1]

By 2007, the FBI had spent $39 million on its DCSNet system, which collects, stores, indexes, and analyzes communications data.[1]

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:43:34 am »
A terrific take on the NSA scandal.......

The only reason I can think of for having such a system is for the manipulation and control of the population at large. This is about absolute power over the citizen. This is about a totalitarian state so terrified of its own population it would lock them all up to remain in power. This is the creation of a digital prison, a virtual cell where you are watched and flagged for having an opinion, or expressing something the government (whichever government that is) doesn't agree with.

When you combine this with everything else they have, such as no-fly lists of politically opinionated people, monitoring and infiltrating of peaceful protest groups, the TSA, the actions of the DHS in quashing Occupy, the monitoring of the Tea Party, the gags on media and reporting, secret courts, Bradley Manning... this is proving that the fears of people concerned about a totalitarian state are real and genuine.

There is no denying that this is bigger than Watergate, bigger than any scandal to have ever come to light, bigger than any conspiracy theory we have seen unravel in the history of the USA. But, people just don't seem to get it at all.

The only bright light we have in the UK right now is MP Kieth Vaz, he has consistently shown himself to be a true voice for the people and for justice. He was quick to get on the BBC and say that there needs to be an investigation into the powers the government has abused, and it seems he might be the only MP willing to demand that something be done.

But what can be done? Does anyone think that an investigation is going to do anything? Even removing our elected will not likely change anything at all, the next guy will do more of the same.

more at:   http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread952099/pg2#pid16506407
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:50:43 am »
"NSA scandal: what data is being monitored..?"

ALL of it. Everything.

That's the purpose of the Bluffdale complex.

We need to know the focus of the data monitoring.  Methinks that this information will make Nixon's "enemies list" and Hillary's FBI files look like child's play.

Political control ... that's what this administration is all about.  I'd like to know how and what they were able to find on Roberts ......

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:32:12 pm »
"We need to know the focus of the data monitoring.  Methinks that this information will make Nixon's "enemies list" and Hillary's FBI files look like child's play."

It won't end with PRISM.

Every completed project, presents a challange: to create something even larger and more powerful NEXT time.

They want a machine that can do it all.
They want to record EVERYTHING.

Every phone call -- land line, cell, voice-over-internet.

Every internet "transaction" -- be it from a computer, an iPad, a smartphone, any signal that can be intercepted and recorded -- ALL electronic devices in existence. And how many devices being made now do _not_ come with WiFi built in?

Every financial transaction -- since even cash registers are linked into electronic systems now, perhaps every sale made in the United States (would include cash sales becase again, the _cash register_ is electronic). The receipts you receive now -- shows a complete list of everything you bought. This is information that can be intercepted and "passed on".

Every movement -- when GPS becomes common in cars (it is now, but I sense the chips involved will be "smarter" in the future), every movement of every vehicle in the country. Into the records.

Perhaps even someday, it will become common for people to be "chipped" at some point in their lives. And then…?

Again -- the "goal" is to record everything.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »
In my travels yesterday, I touched my GPS screen in a "double tap" and a screen came up that detailed by average speed, my minutes, etc..  Not cool at all, IMO.

However, I'd be lost without my Garmin.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:42:46 pm »
In my travels yesterday, I touched my GPS screen in a "double tap" and a screen came up that detailed by average speed, my minutes, etc..  Not cool at all, IMO.

However, I'd be lost without my Garmin.   :laugh:

That, of course, is precisely how they get you to willingly and voluntarily give them complete control over you:  by providing you with devices and convincing you that you simply cannot do without them.  (I added the underlining).