Author Topic: Phone Record Gathering Story Blown Out of Proportion By Andrew C. McCarthy  (Read 624 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

Bambi's not playing somebody's game like he's supposed to.  There's a reason he's getting beat up now and it's not because the press has suddenly become concerned about civil liberties.

If he gets on board, this will all go away.  If he doesn't, it will keep getting worse...

I respect Andy McCarthy, but he's wrong on this issue. 

The problem is government power; more precisely, the Constitutional limits on the use of police power by the Executive Branch against American citizens, as opposed to foreign combatants.  For the Federal government to conduct a massive, indiscriminate collection of private communications data is to violate the right to privacy of all Americans.

And, contrary to McCarthy's assertion, it is more than just generic telephone records that are involved here.

The NSA is recording actual conversations on the internet as well as on the telephone, including personal emails - not just the headers, but their content as well, and is doing so for members of Congress as well as private citizens.  This includes keystroke logging: the ability to capture everything you type, as you type it. The NSA has this capacity right now, as does Homeland Security and the FBI. Anyone who asserts otherwise either does not know the truth, or else is lying to you.

If anyone here doubts me, I urge you to look into the matter. There are plenty of resources available to confirm the capabilities I am describing here, including some government whistleblowers who have been involved in informational data mining and who have grown alarmed at its increasing abuse.     

In the past, it was necessary for the government to document a potential threat, and then go to a Federal court to obtain approval to access conversational content, but only upon the showing of probable cause to believe that a person or persons were involved in a criminal or terrorist conspiracy. This is no longer the case, and that is a problem for all who still care about liberty and constitutional government. 

Those of us who warned about potential abuse of the Patriot Act are now being vindicated.  I didn't quite trust the Bush Administration to limit its efforts to actual terrorist threats, and I certainly don't trust the current Administration, with its demonstrated propensity toward global politicization and punishment of perceived "enemies".   
Liberalism isn't really about making the world a better place. It's about reassuring the elites that they are good people for wanting to rule over it.

Offline GourmetDan

The NSA is recording actual conversations on the internet as well as on the telephone...

Well, telephone conversations travel on internet backbones, so there isn't much distinction between internet and telephone anymore.

Also, people forget that the FBI listened to telephone conversations between Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his wife that occurred before he was a suspect.  Those conversations had to have been recorded and stored and were retrieved from somewhere after-the-fact.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf