Author Topic: ‘Pentagon Papers’ leaker: Obama a ‘constitutional monarch,’ trying to ‘control all the information’  (Read 913 times)

Offline happyg

‘Pentagon Papers’ leaker: Obama a ‘constitutional monarch,’ trying to ‘control all the information’

Daniel Ellsberg, the former military analyst whose leak of the “Pentagon Papers” precipitated a landmark Supreme Court case, says President Barack Obama “has become an elected monarch” who is leading “an unprecedented campaign against unauthorized disclosure.”

“The government had used the Espionage Act against leaks only three times before his administration,” Ellsberg told The Washington Post in an interview published Wednesday. “He’s used it six times. He’s doing his best to assure that sources in the government will have reason to fear heavy prison sentences for informing the American public in ways he doesn’t want.”

“In other words, he’s working very hard to make it a government where he controls all the information,” Ellsberg added.

Ellsberg’s leak of a top-secret history of the Vietnam War to New York Times reporter Neil Sheehan in 1971 revealed that the U.S. government had systematically lied about the nature of the conflict since its involvement. The Nixon administration charged Ellsberg under the Espionage Act of 1917 and obtained a federal injunction to stop the papers’ publication, but lost the case on appeal after it reached the Supreme Court.

“I wouldn’t count on the current court with its current makeup making the same ruling with the Pentagon Papers as they did 40 years ago,” Ellsberg told the Post. “I’m sure that President Obama would have sought a life sentence in my case.”

“Various things that were counted as unconstitutional then have been put in the president’s hands now,” he continued. “He’s become an elected monarch. Nixon’s slogan, ‘when the president does it, it’s not illegal,’ is pretty much endorsed now. Meaning not only Obama but the people who come after him will have powers that no previous president had. Abilities on surveillance that no country in the history of the world has ever had.”

Ellsberg said that the Department of Justice’s investigation into Fox News reporter James Rosen “may actually have the effect of waking people up to the fact that, for example, Attorney General Holder has been violating the Constitution steadily, and that he should be fired.”

“But fired for what?” Ellsberg said. “For doing what had the approval of the president. Holder should be fired for a whole series of actions culminating in this subpoena for James Rosen’s cell phone records. I think that would be the first step of resistance in the right direction, of rolling back Obama’s campaign against journalism, freedom of the press in national security.”

A prominent defender of fellow leaker Bradley Manning, Ellsberg said that the media will soon be in “the position of printing nothing more than government handouts” and will become “in effect a state press, as in so many other countries that lack freedom of the press.”

“There would be a lot of newspaper people who would be comfortable with that,” Ellsberg said. “But there are a lot who would not.”

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/05/pentagon-papers-leaker-obama-a-constitutional-monarch-trying-to-control-all-the-information/

Offline Relic

Ellsberg just signed up for the Woodward treatment.

- Ignored by all liberals.
- If ignore fails, paint Ellsberg as over the hill, losing touch, basically an idiot.

Mr. Ellsberg, here's a clue: To modern liberals Obama IS liberalism. An attack on Obama is considered an attack on their religion itself.

Offline musiclady

Ellsberg just signed up for the Woodward treatment.

- Ignored by all liberals.
- If ignore fails, paint Ellsberg as over the hill, losing touch, basically an idiot.

Mr. Ellsberg, here's a clue: To modern liberals Obama IS liberalism. An attack on Obama is considered an attack on their religion itself.

You're right.  And it looks like these real liberals (Woodward and Ellsberg) don't understand as much about their own party in its current state as they ought to.

They are former heroes of the left, but they are now attacking the most high supreme god, and they will be punished for it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:25:01 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
To people with historical perspective, Ellsberg's comments ought to perk up their ears.

As a 20 year old father drafted, I served my 2 years and out. But during that time I was very mixed up about Vietnam.

Heard both sides: Domino theory--fight the world communist scourge. And the peacenik side, too.

Eventually it wound down, but not after Nixon paraded across the American horizon, as the guy behind "The Imperial Presidency."

More and more comparison in the news between Nixon and Obama.

Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and finally Nixon felt Vietnam was justification for Americans to die.

Today Obama picks Islamic terrorists for Egypt, Libya, and apparently Syria etc. And Americans die.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln