Author Topic: Canada Town Bans 'Unlucky' 4 From Addresses  (Read 1288 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Canada Town Bans 'Unlucky' 4 From Addresses
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:23 am »
http://m.newser.com/story/168886/canada-town-bans-unlucky-4-from-addresses.html

by Rob Quinn
June 3, 2013

A Toronto suburb that has long catered to the superstitious by skipping 13 when giving out new addresses has decided to do away with the number four as well. Four is considered unlucky by speakers of Cantonese and Mandarin because it sounds like the word "death," and while Richmond Hill has a large Chinese population, residents say it's not only Asians who are turned off by the number, the Toronto Star reports.

"It's funny, I had young Italian couple and they were worried about the number four on their property," a property broker says. "They heard four is no good. It’s really not a big deal, but some people know a bit, and all of a sudden it becomes stigmatized." Numbers like 14 and 24 will still be used for new addresses, and people who currently have a four in their address can petition to have a suffix added to make it into the somewhat less unlucky 4A or 4B.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

Re: Canada Town Bans 'Unlucky' 4 From Addresses
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »
A Toronto suburb that has long catered to the superstitious ...
**nononono* How silly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:55:11 am »
yeesh.  I still see elevators all the time with "13" missing from the buttons - doesn't mean there isn't a thirteenth floor, though.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:00:55 am »
yeesh.  I still see elevators all the time with "13" missing from the buttons - doesn't mean there isn't a thirteenth floor, though.

I've noticed this pretty often. Mostly in NY and Chicago, not as much in the South. Even the Trump International Chicago was missing the 13th.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:04:59 am by AbaraXas »

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 04:07:38 am »
I've noticed this pretty often. Mostly in NY and Chicago, not as much in the South. Even the Trump International Chicago was missing the 13th.

A lot of elevators in NYC - including brand new buildings.