Author Topic: Former Fox News Anchor Candidly Discusses ‘Dark’ Struggle With Alcoholism  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Former Fox News Anchor Candidly Discusses ‘Dark’ Struggle With Alcoholism
by Andrew Kirell | 1:46 pm, May 8th, 2013

Former Fox News anchor Laurie Dhue spoke candidly before the Downtown Women’s Center’s fifth annual spring luncheon on Tuesday, discussing her 15-year battle with alcoholism that ended only six years ago.

During her eight-year tenure with Fox News, Dhue hosted the Fox Report‘s weekend edition and made frequent appearances on The O’Reilly Factor, Geraldo at Large, and On the Record. She left the network in 2008, one year after seeking treatment for her alcoholism.

At the luncheon, Dhue reportedly described her alcoholic years “a dark mix of blackouts, an overdose and moments of sleeping in a fetal position at her office while recovering from hangovers.”

She lamented how the more successful she became as a broadcast journalist, the worse her addiction became. “I wasn’t living life. I was merely existing. I knew how to package myself, but I couldn’t look in the mirror without shame and disgust,” she told the audience of her “double life.”

Since becoming sober, Dhue has obtained positions with various television networks, most recently as a reporter for TheBlaze’s new series of investigative specials. She also runs a media advising firm and actively seeks to put a public face on addiction.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I always liked her, I'm glad to see she's doing OK now. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. Addiction is a total sod to force back down - you never overcome it, but you learn not to give in. Glad she is doing well.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'd love to share a bottle of tequila with her!     :laugh:

"two for you....one for me...."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:19:25 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

LOL!  Laurie Dhue WAS popular with the guys.

I liked her too--she had a nice voice for broadcasting as I recall.

Offline PzLdr

Glad she's OK. What I remember most fondly about her was best encapsulated by the Army expression: What's the word for the day? Thighs!
What's the thought for the day?
Spread the word!

Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
She sure is a beautiful girl....aren't they??   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
truth_seeker

sober 19 years and 3 months this Wednesday

cold beer was my thing, enjoyable...

...until it became an obsession and daily necessity

Good for her.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

And you, too, Truth_Seeker.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
truth_seeker

sober 19 years and 3 months this Wednesday

cold beer was my thing, enjoyable...

...until it became an obsession and daily necessity

Good for her.

3 years 7 months on the 17th June.

So - you are smarter than I was  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink