Author Topic: OMG!!! Poor Marines Forced To Eat MRE’s!!!!  (Read 4501 times)

Offline happyg

OMG!!! Poor Marines Forced To Eat MRE’s!!!!
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:40:41 pm »
Sorry, try as I might, I can’t work up much outrage about this story making the rounds the last couple days.

Marines at Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan will lose a key daily meal starting Saturday, causing some to forgo a hot breakfast and others to work six-plus hours without refueling on cooked food, according to Marines at the base and Marine Corps officials.

The midnight ration service — known there as “midrats” — supplies breakfast to Marines on midnight-to-noon shifts and dinner to Marines who are ending noon-to-midnight work periods. It’s described as one of the few times the Marines at Leatherneck can be together in one place.

So, for now, the chow hall is going from four hot meals a day to three. The horror!

Some folks will blame this on an uncaring service, or budget cuts on the back of the troops or the sequestration.

No.

Simply put, the drawdown of forces in Afghanistan also means a drawdown of contractor support, including those that provide food services. And with fewer food service contractors, there has to be fewer hot meals.

So, sure, it’s a burden on those air wingers that work shift work. But Camp Leatherneck has always been somewhat more austere than some of the other major installations in Afghanistan (and it IS a major installation- it’s one 0f the biggest bases in ALL the Marine Corps).  Unlike Bagram Air Base, it has never had fast food and coffee shops.

Mind you, I’m a strong believer that you don’t need practice being miserable.  Good commanders take care that hot food is provided whenever practical. But the fact is, Marines at Camp Leatherneck have far more meal options and far better accommodations than those Marines and soldiers deployed to smaller combat outposts, where a hot meal is truly a luxury.

Both the Marines and the Army have gone to considerable effort to provide (military) cooks to forward outposts. But all too often those troops are either on patrol for days on end (meaning all meals are MREs) or only provided one or two hot meals a day, usually from canned foodstuffs, not fresh, and with a very monotonous menu.

Babette Maxwell, of Military Spouse Magazine, does herself no favors sounding like a whiner.

“MREs are an alternative for when you can’t get to healthy food. They’re supposed to be for desperation,” said Babette Maxwell, founder and executive director of Military Spouse Magazine, the wife of a Navy pilot and an advocate for service members and their families. “These guys have six to nine months left on their deployment. These are highly athletic and highly physical people, toting guns, not working any less now than before — and not working out any less either. Now, they’re short a meal and they don’t have any healthy alternatives.”

MREs are actually rather healthy, if somewhat high in fats. But they are very high in calories. Unless you’re engaged in the most strenuous physical activity (see, patrolling, infantry) you can gain weight quite easily with MREs. 

And Ms. Maxwell, maybe you should ask your husband what kind of midrats are served at sea. Hint- it ain’t usually a hot meal, no matter what shift hours you have.

Then there’s this bit:

“Psychologically, midrats is probably the most important of all the meals because that’s the big social time — where first (shift) crew is coming off and second (shift) crew is coming on,” Maxwell said.”That’s where you get the esprit de corps, the camaraderie. It’s not just the food you’re taking away, it’s their social sustenance.” 

Really? Marines are that fragile?  I’ll have to take a poll of our readers and see how many support that notion. Provided I can get URR off his fainting couch. I’ll give you this much- other bases that have stopped a fourth meal have eliminated either breakfast or lunch based primarily on which is the least attended meal of the day. 

I gotta say, as a grunt who thought a TCT/TCA ration cycle was pure luxury, I’d blow my top at these guys.

I’ll give LTC Gilmore, spokesman, credit for finding a bit of humor:

When serving we are challenged to endure different things — to face different challenges — over time. But we’re an odd bunch, we Marines — probably no surprise that we’ll complain more about losing the sandwich bar on the way out than we did about getting shot at on the way in.”

http://xbradtc.com/2013/06/01/omg-poor-marines-forced-to-eat-mres/

Pictures and video at link

Offline happyg

Re: OMG!!! Poor Marines Forced To Eat MRE’s!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »
There was another thread about this, but this one is ridiculing those who complain.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:00:34 pm »
Sweet. A know-it-all opinion piece written by some guy hiding behind an internet pseudonym. I wonder if he ever goes without a hot meal? Hell, I wonder if he even ever served in anything but a battalion of similar warriors down at his local bar.

I never ate MREs. When I was ij the Army they served us C-Rations from WWII (Lucky Strike goes to war, woot!) and that was in the 60s. I never found them all that bad but the funny thing was I was always hungry an hour or two after consuming the contents of one of the containers. Be that as it may, I think it is somewhat insulting to the troops in combat areas to serve them box lunches (so to speak) if hot meals are possible, especially if it's simply to save money.

Don't get me wrong. Saving taxpayer dollars is very important but for some reason I assume there are other areas where we could save a pfennig or two than by following this policy of serving MREs rather than a hot meal.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:55 pm »
OMG!  GIVE these Marines ALL the DAMN HOT MEALS POSSIBLE!  Gaaaa Leee.  We send friggin billions to the friggin head choppers.  (catching breath)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »
Sweet. A know-it-all opinion piece written by some guy hiding behind an internet pseudonym. I wonder if he ever goes without a hot meal? Hell, I wonder if he even ever served in anything but a battalion of similar warriors down at his local bar.

I never ate MREs. When I was ij the Army they served us C-Rations from WWII (Lucky Strike goes to war, woot!) and that was in the 60s. I never found them all that bad but the funny thing was I was always hungry an hour or two after consuming the contents of one of the containers. Be that as it may, I think it is somewhat insulting to the troops in combat areas to serve them box lunches (so to speak) if hot meals are possible, especially if it's simply to save money.

Don't get me wrong. Saving taxpayer dollars is very important but for some reason I assume there are other areas where we could save a pfennig or two than by following this policy of serving MREs rather than a hot meal.

It's not about saving money.  The fact is, there is a drawdown of troops, so there is a drawdown of the contractors who fix the hot meals.  Apparently , the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »
It's not about saving money.  The fact is, there is a drawdown of troops, so there is a drawdown of the contractors who fix the hot meals.  Apparently , the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services.

Where did you serve, sink?  Are you a Marine?

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »
...the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals. Really? No longer even possible? Fancy that. When I was in the Army they were capable of setting up field kitchens and we could sometimes get a hot meal, other times C-Rations. Odd our military is no longer capable of that, but if you say so.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services. And? All the more reason to treat these men and women with the respect they deserve, don't you think? Or are you of the opinion that if you volunteer to serve in our military that means you are immediately reduced to 2nd class status and become undeserving of our nation's appreciation? Sure sounds like you do.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:29:47 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »
When I was in the Army they were capable of setting up field kitchens and we could sometimes get a hot meal, other times C-Rations

It's too bad they have dispensed with that and have contracted meal preparation out...they should bring this back.....our guys deserve 3 hots a day...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:33:29 pm »
To be fair, MREs are an abomination and anyone who can gain weight eating them has sanded off their taste buds.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:02 pm »
To be fair, MREs are an abomination and anyone who can gain weight eating them has sanded off their taste buds.

They're not that bad...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:40:25 pm »
It's too bad they have dispensed with that and have contracted meal preparation out...

I had no idea the military had ended that practice, Mystery, and the saddest part is, at least according to Sinkspur, they can never, ever revive it. Maybe they have forgotten how they did it.

our guys deserve 3 hots a day.... Uh, yep, and somehow I really think they can manage it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »
It's too bad they have dispensed with that and have contracted meal preparation out...they should bring this back.....our guys deserve 3 hots a day...

I am in total agreement with that. Three hot meals are probably the closest they come to being home. I understand it if soldiers are on a mission, but when they aren't fighting, they deserve whatever the government can and should do for them. Quit feeding and arming Al Qaida, and our soldiers could eat like Queen Mooch!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:36 pm »
...the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals. Really? No longer even possible? Fancy that. When I was in the Army they were capable of setting up field kitchens and we could sometimes get a hot meal, other times C-Rations. Odd our military is no longer capable of that, but if you say so.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services. And? All the more reason to treat these men and women with the respect they deserve, don't you think? Or are you of the opinion that if you volunteer to serve in our military that means you are immediately reduced to 2nd class status and become undeserving of our nation's appreciation? Sure sounds like you do.

If I volunteer to take a job working an oil rig, I don't get to complain because I have to work two weeks on, one week off. 

A certain lifestyle comes with serving in the military and no one is forced to live that lifestyle against his/her will. 

famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:14 pm »
If I volunteer to take a job working an oil rig, I don't get to complain because I have to work two weeks on, one week off. 

A certain lifestyle comes with serving in the military and no one is forced to live that lifestyle against his/her will. 

What is life like working on an oil rig?  Just curious because I hear it pays very well.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 07:20:45 pm »
They're not that bad...lol

The crackers and PB&J are bearable. Almost.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:33 pm »
What is life like working on an oil rig?  Just curious because I hear it pays very well.

It DOES pay very well... even down to the lowest jobs...... unlike our military....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Allegra

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 07:56:24 pm »
The crackers and PB&J are bearable. Almost.

I like the spicy cheese spread.

And the M&Ms.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 08:04:19 pm »
I traded the M&Ms Prefer crackers.  :laugh:

One thing we have/had in ours that I don't think you get is a square of something called Kendall Mint Cake. Almost pure sugar, with enough peppermint to blow you to the moon.

That I do miss  :laugh:

famousdayandyear

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:35 pm »
It DOES pay very well... even down to the lowest jobs...... unlike our military....

Thank you Rap.  Was hoping sink would answer since he indicated he? may or may not have volunteered to work on a rig.  Since sink has not responded, I would guess not.

Offline happyg

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 08:50:44 pm »

Two brothers-in-law worked the rigs in Alabama some years ago. One fell and broke his back, so they came home. Even so, they made more money in a few months than they did in a couple years here in Ohio. I don't remember how long they were there, but they loved the money!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:53 am »

I was out in the DMZ in Korea, Spring of 1969, on ambush. The Cs I took out had been packed when my Pop was in the Army in '44. Cs were great. You could use the Chicklets as weapons, either by hand, or a makeshift sling. You left the cigarettes [Luckies or Chesterfields-no filters] as booby traps. When anybody tried to suck air through them, their heads imploded. The toiletpaper was invaluable as an interrogation tool. Rub it on flesh, they'd sing like a canary [ If they didn't you could threaten to make them eat the roast beef au jus (dogfood), or the legendary ham and motherf*ckers]. And there were enough cans of datenut loaf [unopened] laying around to sustain you for the next five centuries.  :tongue2:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 01:05:45 am »
I was out in the DMZ in Korea, Spring of 1969...

Oh, wow,  PzLdr, we served in the same general area, only I was there 3 years before you and further south at both Camp Kaiser (Unchoni) and Camp Casey (Tongduchon), 7th Division.

Did you know the boxes those C-Rations came in could be used to heat your meal? Never tried it but they were supposed to be smokeless when burning so you wouldn't give away your position.

The Army thinks of everything doesn't it; or, as we used to say on occasion: FTA (Forever, The Army)?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:58 am »

The point is, both jobs are undertaken voluntarily.  There is no coercion to accept either role.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 01:12:40 am »

They WILL get 3 hots a day.  The hot meal they are cutting is a 4th meal.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 01:34:42 am »

Are you kidding!?!?!

I love MRE'S! Eggs & Ham, Tuna with Noodles, Beef slice with Veins, Pork Patties, Chicken Chow Mein, all with hot sauce!

Mmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmm!
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.