Author Topic:  (Read 2580 times)

Offline happyg

« on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »

Offline happyg

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
There was another thread about this, but this one is ridiculing those who complain.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
Sweet. A know-it-all opinion piece written by some guy hiding behind an internet pseudonym. I wonder if he ever goes without a hot meal? Hell, I wonder if he even ever served in anything but a battalion of similar warriors down at his local bar.

I never ate MREs. When I was ij the Army they served us C-Rations from WWII (Lucky Strike goes to war, woot!) and that was in the 60s. I never found them all that bad but the funny thing was I was always hungry an hour or two after consuming the contents of one of the containers. Be that as it may, I think it is somewhat insulting to the troops in combat areas to serve them box lunches (so to speak) if hot meals are possible, especially if it's simply to save money.

Don't get me wrong. Saving taxpayer dollars is very important but for some reason I assume there are other areas where we could save a pfennig or two than by following this policy of serving MREs rather than a hot meal.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
OMG!  GIVE these Marines ALL the DAMN HOT MEALS POSSIBLE!  Gaaaa Leee.  We send friggin billions to the friggin head choppers.  (catching breath)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Sweet. A know-it-all opinion piece written by some guy hiding behind an internet pseudonym. I wonder if he ever goes without a hot meal? Hell, I wonder if he even ever served in anything but a battalion of similar warriors down at his local bar.

I never ate MREs. When I was ij the Army they served us C-Rations from WWII (Lucky Strike goes to war, woot!) and that was in the 60s. I never found them all that bad but the funny thing was I was always hungry an hour or two after consuming the contents of one of the containers. Be that as it may, I think it is somewhat insulting to the troops in combat areas to serve them box lunches (so to speak) if hot meals are possible, especially if it's simply to save money.

Don't get me wrong. Saving taxpayer dollars is very important but for some reason I assume there are other areas where we could save a pfennig or two than by following this policy of serving MREs rather than a hot meal.

It's not about saving money.  The fact is, there is a drawdown of troops, so there is a drawdown of the contractors who fix the hot meals.  Apparently , the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
It's not about saving money.  The fact is, there is a drawdown of troops, so there is a drawdown of the contractors who fix the hot meals.  Apparently , the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services.

Where did you serve, sink?  Are you a Marine?

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
...the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals. Really? No longer even possible? Fancy that. When I was in the Army they were capable of setting up field kitchens and we could sometimes get a hot meal, other times C-Rations. Odd our military is no longer capable of that, but if you say so.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services. And? All the more reason to treat these men and women with the respect they deserve, don't you think? Or are you of the opinion that if you volunteer to serve in our military that means you are immediately reduced to 2nd class status and become undeserving of our nation's appreciation? Sure sounds like you do.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:29:47 PM by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »
When I was in the Army they were capable of setting up field kitchens and we could sometimes get a hot meal, other times C-Rations

It's too bad they have dispensed with that and have contracted meal preparation out...they should bring this back.....our guys deserve 3 hots a day...

Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
To be fair, MREs are an abomination and anyone who can gain weight eating them has sanded off their taste buds.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:38:02 PM »
To be fair, MREs are an abomination and anyone who can gain weight eating them has sanded off their taste buds.

They're not that bad...lol

Support the USO

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
It's too bad they have dispensed with that and have contracted meal preparation out...

I had no idea the military had ended that practice, Mystery, and the saddest part is, at least according to Sinkspur, they can never, ever revive it. Maybe they have forgotten how they did it.

our guys deserve 3 hots a day.... Uh, yep, and somehow I really think they can manage it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
It's too bad they have dispensed with that and have contracted meal preparation out...they should bring this back.....our guys deserve 3 hots a day...

I am in total agreement with that. Three hot meals are probably the closest they come to being home. I understand it if soldiers are on a mission, but when they aren't fighting, they deserve whatever the government can and should do for them. Quit feeding and arming Al Qaida, and our soldiers could eat like Queen Mooch!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »
...the point has been reached at which it's no longer even possible to do the hot meals. Really? No longer even possible? Fancy that. When I was in the Army they were capable of setting up field kitchens and we could sometimes get a hot meal, other times C-Rations. Odd our military is no longer capable of that, but if you say so.

Besides, nobody joins the armed services thinking that life inside is going to be like life outside.  And, last I looked, we have an all-volunteer armed services. And? All the more reason to treat these men and women with the respect they deserve, don't you think? Or are you of the opinion that if you volunteer to serve in our military that means you are immediately reduced to 2nd class status and become undeserving of our nation's appreciation? Sure sounds like you do.

If I volunteer to take a job working an oil rig, I don't get to complain because I have to work two weeks on, one week off. 

A certain lifestyle comes with serving in the military and no one is forced to live that lifestyle against his/her will. 

famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 03:12:14 PM »
If I volunteer to take a job working an oil rig, I don't get to complain because I have to work two weeks on, one week off. 

A certain lifestyle comes with serving in the military and no one is forced to live that lifestyle against his/her will. 

What is life like working on an oil rig?  Just curious because I hear it pays very well.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »
They're not that bad...lol

The crackers and PB&J are bearable. Almost.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »
What is life like working on an oil rig?  Just curious because I hear it pays very well.

It DOES pay very well... even down to the lowest jobs...... unlike our military....

Offline Allegra

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
The crackers and PB&J are bearable. Almost.

I like the spicy cheese spread.

And the M&Ms.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
I traded the M&Ms Prefer crackers.  :laugh:

One thing we have/had in ours that I don't think you get is a square of something called Kendall Mint Cake. Almost pure sugar, with enough peppermint to blow you to the moon.

That I do miss  :laugh:

famousdayandyear

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
It DOES pay very well... even down to the lowest jobs...... unlike our military....

Thank you Rap.  Was hoping sink would answer since he indicated he? may or may not have volunteered to work on a rig.  Since sink has not responded, I would guess not.

Offline happyg

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »

Two brothers-in-law worked the rigs in Alabama some years ago. One fell and broke his back, so they came home. Even so, they made more money in a few months than they did in a couple years here in Ohio. I don't remember how long they were there, but they loved the money!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »

I was out in the DMZ in Korea, Spring of 1969, on ambush. The Cs I took out had been packed when my Pop was in the Army in '44. Cs were great. You could use the Chicklets as weapons, either by hand, or a makeshift sling. You left the cigarettes [Luckies or Chesterfields-no filters] as booby traps. When anybody tried to suck air through them, their heads imploded. The toiletpaper was invaluable as an interrogation tool. Rub it on flesh, they'd sing like a canary [ If they didn't you could threaten to make them eat the roast beef au jus (dogfood), or the legendary ham and motherf*ckers]. And there were enough cans of datenut loaf [unopened] laying around to sustain you for the next five centuries.  :tongue2:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »
I was out in the DMZ in Korea, Spring of 1969...

Oh, wow,  PzLdr, we served in the same general area, only I was there 3 years before you and further south at both Camp Kaiser (Unchoni) and Camp Casey (Tongduchon), 7th Division.

Did you know the boxes those C-Rations came in could be used to heat your meal? Never tried it but they were supposed to be smokeless when burning so you wouldn't give away your position.

The Army thinks of everything doesn't it; or, as we used to say on occasion: FTA (Forever, The Army)?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »

The point is, both jobs are undertaken voluntarily.  There is no coercion to accept either role.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

They WILL get 3 hots a day.  The hot meal they are cutting is a 4th meal.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »

Are you kidding!?!?!

I love MRE'S! Eggs & Ham, Tuna with Noodles, Beef slice with Veins, Pork Patties, Chicken Chow Mein, all with hot sauce!

Mmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmm!
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf