Author Topic: Want to see a former Army sniper hit an impossible shot? Here you go  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

By golly, boys and girls, this is impressive (to say the least).

This shouldn't be possible. Former Army Ranger sniper Ryan Cleckner is a long-range rifle instructor in West Texas, and he was getting sick of requests to show off his skills with the Barrett M107 sniper rifle. The guys at Texas Triggers were bugging him to shoot "off-hand" (meaning from a standing position instead of lying down), and Ryan finally obliged, modestly assuring them that he wouldn't hit anything. Boy, was he wrong. It takes an obscene level of skill just to get close. But Cleckner hit his target at 1,000 yards —that's more than half a mile — with just one shot (at 1:15 in the video above). When the zombie apocalypse hits, we want Cleckner to be our new best friend.

http://now.msn.com/texas-triggers-video-shows-army-sniper-ryan-cleckner-hit-half-mile-shot
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:51:23 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Want to see a former Army sniper hit an impossible shot? Here you go
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:55:16 pm »
I was about to say something until I saw it was standing, off-hand. That is impressive.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:49 pm »
There are more off hand good shots out there than one would expect.  They just don't film it.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »
There are more off hand good shots out there than one would expect.  They just don't film it.

Yeah, well, perhaps so, but when I qualified I had more than a spot of trouble hitting the bulls eye at 300 yards when in the prone position. But I did pass, though rated as only a lowly marksman. However, I am also rated as a sharpshooter with the flame thrower, so if you see me coming at you with a rifle you might be safe, but if I am carrying a flame thrower on my back, you best step aside (because I might fall over on you; those things are heavy).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:13:29 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »

Yeah, well, perhaps so, but when I qualified I had more than a spot of trouble hitting the bulls eye at 300 yards when in the prone position. But I did pass, though rated as only a lowly marksman. However, I am also rated as a sharpshooter with the flame thrower, so if you see me coming at you with a rifle you might be safe, but if I am carrying a flame thrower on my back, you best step aside (because I might fall over on you; those things are heavy).

You're right!  A really impressive shot esp standing.  My comment was too flip--it's just there are a lot of great shooters out there.  And I'm grateful for this and that they keep up their skills. Those skills are crucial. The ammo "shortage" is very worrisome.  Thanks for the post and the laugh out loud.