Author Topic: Insight: Libya becomes 'the new Mali' as Islamists shift in Sahara  (Read 1271 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/31/us-sahara-islamists-insight-idUSBRE94U0I220130531

(Reuters) - Suicide attacks on a French-run mine and a military base in northern Niger have shown how an Islamist threat is spreading across the weak nations of the Sahara, meaning France may be tied down there for years to come.

Regional rivalries are aggravating the problem for Paris and its Western allies, with a lack of cooperation between Saharan countries helping militants to melt away when they come under pressure and regroup in quieter parts of the vast desert.

Security officials say lawless southern Libya has become the latest haven for al Qaeda-linked fighters after French-led forces drove them from strongholds in northern Mali this year, killing hundreds.

"The south of Libya is what the north of Mali was like before," said a senior adviser to Mali's interim President Diouncounda Traore, asking not to be named.

More at link.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink