Author Topic: Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:44 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-jury-foreman-says-believed-jodi-arias-abused-203820765.html

Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused

Reuters
By David Schwartz | Reuters – Fri, May 24, 2013

By David Schwartz

PHOENIX (Reuters) - The foreman of an Arizona jury that deadlocked over whether Jodi Arias should be put to death for murdering her ex-boyfriend believes she was mentally abused, but said on Friday that had not been enough to excuse her crime.

Arias, a former waitress from California, was found guilty this month of murdering Travis Alexander, whose body was found slumped in the shower of his Phoenix-area home in June 2008. He had been stabbed 27 times, had his throat slashed and been shot in the face.

The same eight-man, four-woman jury that convicted Arias of murder and quickly ruled her eligible for the death penalty failed on Thursday to reach a consensus on whether she should actually die for her crime, prompting a penalty phase mistrial.

The state of Arizona now has the option of retrying the sentencing phase of the trial, which would require a new jury be impaneled. If there is another deadlock, the death penalty would be taken off the table.

"I'm very sure in my own mind that she was mentally and verbally abused," jury foreman William Zervakos told the ABC News "Good Morning America" program. "Now, is that an excuse? Of course not. Does it factor in the decisions that we make? It has to."

Arias, a petite 32-year-old, has admitted killing Alexander but said it was in self-defense after he attacked her, and maintained that she had been mentally and physically abused during the pair's on-again off-again love affair.

Zervakos' comments shed light on the unsuccessful three-day struggle to reach consensus on her fate in which jurors had also sought clarity from the court on whether a life prison term for Arias would include any possibility of parole.

The marathon trial that began in January, and included a lurid sex tape and photographs of the bloody crime scene, captivated U.S. television audiences with its tale of a soft-spoken woman charged with an unspeakable crime.

Demure, neatly groomed and wearing glasses, Arias had pleaded with the jury to spare her life for her family's sake.

She appeared to breathe a sigh of relief on Thursday when Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens declared a sentencing phase mistrial, while Alexander's family wept and hugged in court. A penalty phase retrial is set for July.

Juries only rarely sentence women to death in the United States. While women account for about one in eight murder arrests, less than 2 percent of U.S. death row inmates are women, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Speaking in a separate interview with an Arizona NBC affiliate, Zervakos said the jury found the responsibility of weighing the death sentence overwhelming, but were horrified when their efforts ended in a mistrial.

"By the end of it, we were mentally and emotionally exhausted," he said. "I think we were horrified when we found out that they had actually called a mistrial, and we felt like we had failed."

'NOT A GOOD WITNESS'

Hoping to avert a guilty verdict, Arias took the stand for 18 days to tell her side of the story, in which she said she had killed Alexander in self defense after he attacked her because she dropped his camera while taking pictures of him in the shower.

"I think 18 days hurt her ... I think she was not a good witness," Zervakos told "Good Morning America." "We're charged with ... presuming innocence, right? ... But she was on the stand for so long, there were so many contradicting stories."

Prosecutor Juan Martinez poked holes in her testimony, noting there were no police or medical reports documenting abuse, and confronted her with lies she told after the killing to deflect suspicion that she had been involved.

In the waning days of the penalty phase trial, the jury was also influenced by harrowing statements from two of Alexander's siblings, Steven and Samantha, about the impact of the crime, which left them haunted by nightmares and intrusive thoughts.

"I'm six feet away from somebody talking about a horrendous loss, and if you can't feel that, then you have no emotion, no soul, and yet we couldn't allow ourselves to be emotional on the stand," Zervakos said. "We couldn't allow ourselves to show emotion."

The Arizona Republic newspaper reported that eight jurors had voted for the death penalty, four for life - a detail Reuters was unable to verify. Zervakos simply called the deliberations inside the jury room "gut-wrenching."

The state now has the option of retrying the sentencing phase of the trial, which would require that a new jury be impaneled. If there is another deadlock, the death penalty would be taken off the table.

Prosecutors also could decide to no longer seek the death penalty, which would leave the judge to hand down life term.

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said in a statement following the jury's deadlock that he would assess the next steps, but was proceeding "with the intent to retry the penalty phase." The Alexander family has declined comment.

Legal experts have said that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find a fair and impartial jury in light of the widespread publicity surrounding the case.

(Writing by Tim Gaynor; Editing by Cynthia Johnston, Chris Reese and Andrew Hay)

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »
That just made me so angry when I heard that the first time.  Arias was verbally abused by Alexander because she stalked him, repeatedly slashed his car tires, and repeatedly hacked into his computer email and social media sites, among other things.   She KNEW the only hold she had on him was his sexual addiction to her, and she exploited that for all it was worth in a desperate attempt to hold onto him.  When THAT no longer worked, she damn near decaptiated him in her obviously-premeditated murderous rage.

I'd have given her death, no problem.  :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:27:49 pm »
That just made me so angry when I heard that the first time.  Arias was verbally abused by Alexander because she stalked him, repeatedly slashed his car tires, and repeatedly hacked into his computer email and social media sites, among other things.   She KNEW the only hold she had on him was his sexual addiction to her, and she exploited that for all it was worth in a desperate attempt to hold onto him.  When THAT no longer worked, she damn near decaptiated him in her obviously-premeditated murderous rage.

Same here, Lips... I saw an interview with the jury foreman yesterday and he actually said he would like to meet and talk to her... clearly he was one of the no's for death.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:43:53 pm »
Arias certainly could hold sway over certain men-evidenced by defense witness Dr Richard Samuels, whose probable infatuation with Jodi was nailed by the prosecution.

The only way I could fathom Alice Laviolette's testimony was that either she too was crushing on Jodi, or she was liking the 250.00 an hour so much that she'd say any stupid thing to tie that grisly murder to "domestic abuse." 

Jodi is an attractive waif of a woman, so I could see where some would squirm at assigning the death penalty to her.  I do hope the prosecution gives the sentencing another try, but nobody's sure at this point.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:29 pm »
In the Lifetime special on this trial last week a shrink said he hoped they didn't put her to death because they really need to study her to understand what makes this woman and others like her tick.

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »
I'd have given her death, no problem. 

DITTO!
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:33 am »

Ditto

Tomorrow night on HLN  Jane Velez-Mitchell's show she is interviewing several of the jurors....the foreman was one of the 4 who couldn't sentence her to death...him and 3 others I believe lied at their voir dire's as they were all considered death penalty qualified.....her show is at 6 pmest
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:11 am »
In the Lifetime special on this trial last week a shrink said he hoped they didn't put her to death because they really need to study her to understand what makes this woman and others like her tick.

Bullshit.....if there ever was a person they should have studied and not put to death...it was Ted Bundy.

Jodi Arias is simply a jealous, stalking homicidal nut.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:05 am »
Ditto

Tomorrow night on HLN  Jane Velez-Mitchell's show she is interviewing several of the jurors....the foreman was one of the 4 who couldn't sentence her to death...him and 3 others I believe lied at their voir dire's as they were all considered death penalty qualified.....her show is at 6 pmest
Not imposing it in this case hardly proves they lied.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:20 am »
It's a wonder this jury foreman found her guilty of extreme cruelty since he thinks she's such a nice normal girl who was never in trouble before.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:04 am »

When the jury foreman mentions that he would like to meet and talk to Jodie now, tells me he is either smitten or an idiot who did not listen to all of the testimony and evidence.......she killed Travis 3 times....she slaughtered him!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:33 am »
It's a wonder this jury foreman found her guilty of extreme cruelty since he thinks she's such a nice normal girl who was never in trouble before.
Yeah. That is why he voted her guilty of first degree murder.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:14:46 am »
When the jury foreman mentions that he would like to meet and talk to Jodie now, tells me he is either smitten or an idiot who did not listen to all of the testimony and evidence.......she killed Travis 3 times....she slaughtered him!
He voted to convict her guilty of first degree murder. That is the fact.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:14 am »
I watched that trial from day 1....I guess women are harder on Jodie than men are.....I would have no trouble sentencing her to death...
Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 01:31:35 am »

Very true.  The considerations that go into determining what punishment to impose are different from those that go into determining guilt or lack of guilt in the first place.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 01:38:08 am »
This case was the ultimate in premeditation...she drove 800mi to kill Travis.....she is a master at manipulation and a sociopath....if this had been a man instead of a young attractive female there would be no discussion here.
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 01:43:40 am »
I don't give a rat's rear end what makes her tick. She brutally and with malice aforethought killed a human being. It would be justice for her to die.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:21 am »
Yeah. That is why he voted her guilty of first degree murder.

He said he had a difficult time doing so "because she had never been in trouble before".. he also said he believed Travis abused her -- in other words he bought into her hook, line and sinker.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:36 am »
I don't give a rat's rear end what makes her tick. She brutally and with malice aforethought killed a human being. It would be justice for her to die.

I didn't say I agreed, just  reported what was on the program.

Trust me seeing the crime scene before it was cleaned up and the photographs she took that night there was nothing sweet or innocent about this girl, this was a violent, violent crime and not a crime of passion, you don't drive 800 miles, do everything to hide you made that drive, and call it a crime of passion... she must have been plotting this for a long time.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 02:06:37 am »
I agree, Rap. She's a depraved murderer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 02:07:55 am »
She continues being manipulative to this day. Last week in her second round of interviews with the Phoenix Fox-10 reporter and ABC reporters she made them wait until her makeup was perfect, and only allowed them to photograph her closeup so the cameras did not show her jail clothing.  She tells one story in court and a different story each time they interview her.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 02:11:45 am »
Ditto

Thanks for the heads-up!  Looks like HLN is going to milk another week out of the Arias trial.  :eatdrink:

And at the risk off pissing off truth_seeker further, I agree with you--I believe they lied during voir dire too.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:19:41 am by Lipstick on a Hillary »

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:52 pm »
"Not imposing it in this case hardly proves they lied.

Very true.  The considerations that go into determining what punishment to impose are different from those that go into determining guilt or lack of guilt in the first place."

I'm trying to think of any scenario where I could say that I could impose the death penalty, know what I know about this case, and not impose the death penalty. I can't come up with one and certainly not any of the "abuse" bilge.

If he didn't lie, he certainly "misled".   

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
FWIW, one of the Alexander family put on FB that they WILL seek another penalty trial.  I guess no captiulating to natural life at this time.

Offline evadR

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 03:03:42 pm »
Once guilt has been determined, I try to put myself in the position of the victim and his family.
Like I said, I can thing of no scenario where I would not vote for death in this case.