Author Topic: French lesbian love story wins top prize at Cannes  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

French lesbian love story wins top prize at Cannes
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:31 am »
An intimate lesbian love story by French director Abdellatif Kechiche won the top prize in Cannes on Sunday, and the film festival's director immediately urged the large crowds protesting against gay marriage in Paris to go and see it."La Vie d'Adele - Chapitre 1 & 2" (Blue is the Warmest Colour) was chosen from a field of 20 films exploring sex, violence and emotional anguish which were vying for the Palme d'Or, one of the most coveted film awards after the Oscars.

Critics picked the three-hour film as a possible winner at the 66th Cannes festival, but wondered if its explicit lesbian sex scenes - one lasting up to 10 minutes - would deter the jury deciding the awards led by U.S. filmmaker Steven Spielberg.

In an unusual move, Spielberg said the award would be shared between Kechiche and his two lead actresses Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux as they were central to the film's success.

"I think it will get a lot of play ... I think this film carries a very strong message, a very positive message," Spielberg told journalists. "It was the perfect choice between those two actresses and this incredible very sensitive and observant filmmaker."

Spielberg said he supported same-sex marriage, but downplayed any suggestion the award was to promote this cause

Oh, of course not, Stevie.

Festival director Thierry Fremaux said the film was timely, as hundreds of thousands of demonstrators marched in Paris on Sunday to protest France's recent legalization of same-sex marriage.

"Everyone who is against same-sex marriage or love between two people of the same sex must see the film," he told Reuters.

Sounds as if this is this year's version of "Brokeback Mountain" which also received many favorable reviews and awards both in the US and overseas. The film industry thus  continues in its course of trying to make homosexuality look normal and sympathetic.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/26/entertainment-us-cannes-idUSBRE94P00420130526

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mountaineer

Re: French lesbian love story wins top prize at Cannes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:01 am »
Ugh. I understand this movie is very explicit, so no thanks. As for Brokeback Mountain, oh my gosh. What an awful movie - stupid story, awful acting -  that was. I guess that doesn't matter, as long as you promote that precious homosexual agenda.   :nono:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:46:31 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:49:30 am »
Does anyone really expect anything different from these movie bozos?
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:59:42 am »
I never saw Brokeback Mountain... don't care to change that anytime soon.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:04 am »
I never saw Brokeback Mountain... don't care to change that anytime soon.
It was on TV, so I figured, oh what the heck, I'll see what all the hype was about. Yuck. Just awful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:23 am »
An acquaintance pleaded with me to watch broke mt.  Waste of time and rental $$ for the DVD.  I'll never get that 90 minutes back.  Pure sensational gratuitous crap.