Author Topic: Overboard yachtsman saved by call to Crediton Jewsons  (Read 1491 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Overboard yachtsman saved by call to Crediton Jewsons
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:02:49 am »
Via the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-22652743

A yachtsman who went overboard is saved after his colleague called builders merchant Jewsons

A builders' merchant in land-locked mid Devon has helped rescue a yachtsman who went overboard off the French coast.

The Ilfracombe man was swept into the sea off Ushant, north-west France, on Thursday afternoon.

His colleague on the 32ft (10m) yacht Caprice could not understand the French coastguard, so called his Crediton builders' merchant who raised the alarm with Brixham Coastguard.

The yachtsman is being treated for hypothermia in hospital.

Chris Tucker, who works for Jewson in Crediton, said he was "a bit surprised" when his customer phoned him at about 15:00 BST.
Continue reading the main story   
“Start Quote

Conditions were pretty damn rough”

Chris Tucker Jewson, Crediton

"I'm not quite sure why he called me, but maybe he knew I'd be there and would have access to a computer and phone," Mr Tucker told BBC News.

"It was quite difficult to hear him because it was so windy, but he just kept repeating co-ordinates and times.

"He said he couldn't understand the French coastguards and they didn't understand him."

Mr Tucker said he had seen his customer on Tuesday so knew he was planning a sailing trip.

"He'd told me he was going on his friend's yacht and they were going to take it down to the south of France to leave it there for the summer, then get the ferry back," he said.

More at link, including video report.

Sometimes it is nice to post a story that makes you simultaneously smile and say "What?!"

To clarify - Jewsons is a bit like Home Depot but aimed more towards professional builders.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:04:20 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink