Author Topic: Blake Shelton organizing TV benefit for Oklahoma victims  (Read 957 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Blake Shelton organizing TV benefit for Oklahoma victims
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:25:15 am »
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=809063&ocid=ansent11

Blake Shelton organizing TV benefit for Oklahoma victims
May 22, 2013, 8:44 AM EST

Country star and Oklahoma native Blake Shelton is organizing a benefit concert for victims of the tornado that ravaged his home state on Monday.

"The Voice" mentor, who was born in Ada, Okla., is working swiftly to plan a TV special to pull in much-needed funds for the thousands left homeless by the devastating storm.

"We'll know more about it in the next 24 hours. I'm hoping it will raise a lot of money," he told Billboard.com. "Obviously it will be televised and will happen really quickly."

The singer, who still has a home in Oklahoma, hinted that his "The Voice" co-stars Usher, Shakira and Adam Levine will make appearances, adding, "I can call in some really big favors." Shelton and his wife, Miranda Lambert, paid tribute to Oklahoma victims on the U.S. talent show on Tuesday night by performing their emotional ballad "Over You."

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/video/blake-shelton-and-miranda-lambert-over-you/n37168/
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Blake Shelton organizing TV benefit for Oklahoma victims
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:31:03 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/blake-shelton-oklahoma-benefit/index.html

Blake Shelton: I'm planning a benefit with NBC for tornado victims
By Denise Quan and KJ Matthews, CNN
updated 11:51 AM EDT, Wed May 22, 2013

(CNN) -- Oklahoma native Blake Shelton is the first entertainer to announce a benefit for tornado victims in his home state.

After Tuesday night's taping of "The Voice," the country music superstar told CNN, "We are actually putting together a fund-raiser right now with NBC. We'll have more details within the next 24 hours, but definitely something with NBC that is going to happen real fast, and hopefully raise a lot of money."

The revelation came after he and his wife, Miranda Lambert, sang an especially poignant rendition of their hit "Over You," which the couple wrote as a tribute to Shelton's brother, who died when Shelton was a teenager.

"'Over You' was just the perfect song to fit, and maybe help some people heal and mourn and all those things," Shelton said.

Shelton revealed he had a personal connection to the community with the most devastation.

"(Monday) was a tough day for any Oklahoman," he said. "And you know, Miranda and I are both residents of Oklahoma. I was born and raised in Oklahoma there and Miranda lives there now. It was tough to land here in LA and look at (media coverage) on the phone and go, 'Oh my gosh, we just left there.'"

Celebs who are OK natives speak out on the tornado tragedy

The country singer said he has family very near some of the hardest hit areas.

"I spent three Christmases at my sister's house in Moore, Oklahoma, and some of those helicopter views of the destruction, you could see her house a quarter of a mile away from there," Shelton said. "My nieces and nephews would have gone to that school (Plaza Towers Elementary), and when you start putting it in that sort of perspective, and then thinking, 'Oh my God, I am so glad that they recently moved away from that area.' And then you go, 'What about all those people that didn't?' It's hard to put into words, honestly."

Shelton's fellow coach on "The Voice," singer Usher, said he hopes to be part of the benefit.

"I have family in Oklahoma City," he said. "My little sister, Ashira -- her family is OK. Unfortunately, that is something that you can't -- all you can do is put your best efforts forward, just let those who have been a part of this tragic reality, this natural disaster, know that we are thinking about them and care about them. I think that is 100 percent the effort."
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:42:14 am »
Gee, just what we need... more celebrity beg-a-thons...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:57:54 am »
Gee, just what we need... more celebrity beg-a-thons...

I LIKE Blake Shelton..  and he lives in Oklahoma, this is personal to him.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:14:25 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/05/24/oklahoma-tornado-relief-concert-blake-shelton/2359033/

Blake Shelton sets Oklahoma relief concert
Gary Levin, USA TODAY4:42 p.m. EDT May 24, 2013
Concert to air May 29 on NBC and several cable networks.

Country-music star Blake Shelton is organizing and will perform in a relief concert to benefit victims of the Oklahoma tornado damage.

Healing in the Heartland: Relief Benefit Concert is set for Wednesday, May 29, at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, where Shelton will perform with his wife, Miranda Lambert, Reba, Vince Gill and other guests to be announced soon.

NBC, for whom Shelton is a judge on The Voice, will air the concert live at 9 p.m. ET/delayed PT, along with E!, Bravo, CMT, Style and G4, on either a live or delayed basis.

"Everyone has their way to help, and mine as an entertainer is to perform to help raise money and awareness for this tragedy," Shelton said in a statement.

Shelton is an Oklahoma native who currently lives in Tishomingo and headlined a 2011 relief effort for another tornado disaster that struck the state.

Funds raised will be sent to United Way of Central Oklahoma May Tornadoes Relief Fund.

Tickets for the event go on sale at 11 a.m ET Saturday at Ticketmaster at $25 apiece, with a limit of eight per person.