Author Topic: BNP and anti-fascists scuffle in London  (Read 1184 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
BNP and anti-fascists scuffle in London
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
Via the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/01/bnp-anti-fascists-london

Leftwing groups gather in Westminster on Saturday to oppose a demonstration organised by the BNP in front of the Houses of Parliament. Photograph: Rex Features

Far-right groups and their opponents scuffled in London on Saturday as protesters attacking Islam gathered in cities and towns all over Britain.

Small groups of English Defence League supporters met in cities and towns including Sheffield, Cambridge and Colchester, and 150 members of the British National party met at Westminster. In London and elsewhere, the protesters were outnumbered by police and anti-fascist demonstrators.

The protests were triggered by the killing of Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich last week by two men who claimed to be acting in the name of Islam.

Police said 31 people were arrested after members of Unite against Fascism refused to move to let the BNP march to the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

One BNP supporter who was injured in a scuffle said: "I've put my best suit on today and come out for a peaceful demonstration and this is what's happened. And to think they call us thugs!"

More at link.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink