Author Topic: I Built This AK-47. It's Legal and Totally Untraceable.  (Read 2087 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I Built This AK-47. It's Legal and Totally Untraceable.
« on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:31 am »
...We crowd in as our three hosts, all expert gun assemblers, hand out waivers with a list of questions: Are you a convicted felon? Ever been dishonorably discharged from the military? Addicted to drugs? Mentally unstable? The guy in camo looks up and, to much laughter, says, "So it's all 'No,' right?"

The hosts collect our paperwork without checking IDs. We don eye protection and gloves, and soon the garage is abuzz with the whir of grinders, cutters, and drills. Sales of receivers—which house the mechanical parts, making a gun a gun—are tightly regulated, so my kit comes with a pre-drilled flat steel platform. Legally, it's just an American-made hunk of metal, but one bend in a vise later and, voilà, it's a receiver, ready for trigger guards to be riveted on. Sparks fly as receiver rails to guide the bolt mechanism are cut, welded into place, and heat-treated. The front and rear trunnions, which will hold the barrel and stock, are attached to the receivers.
AK-47 parts...

Building an AK from parts requires no background checks or serial numbers.

Online mountaineer

Re: I Built This AK-47. It's Legal and Totally Untraceable.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:29:41 am »
Cool!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »
Question is:  where does one get the necessary parts?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:15 pm »
Question is:  where does one get the necessary parts?

The lower receiver, the only restricted part that requires a background check, is made from sheet metal. The rest can be purchased with no background check or identification required all over the internet. Parts like barrels, triggers, stocks, etc, aren't restricted. I posted another thread that gives detailed step-by-step instructions and has links where you can buy parts.