Author Topic: Locked Away Army struggles with wounded soldiers  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Locked Away Army struggles with wounded soldiers
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:50 am »
http://cdn.csgazette.biz/soldiers/day3.html

Locked Away Army struggles with wounded soldiers

Sgt. Paul Sasse arrived at Fort Carson in February in a uniform glistening with decorations from three combat tours: five medals for heroism, four for excellence, three for good conduct and one for nearly getting killed in Iraq. The 32-year-old Special Forces soldier also wore shackles. He was facing court-martial for assaulting his wife and two military police officers. Sasse had been sitting in solitary confinement at the El Paso County jail for months without military charge and had been brought to the Colorado Springs Army post to be arraigned. "I just need someone to help me," he said, reaching with bound hands to show a Gazette reporter his medical files.

Sasse was hit by a roadside bomb in 2007 in Iraq and diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury. He kept soldiering through another tour even though he struggled with shattered memory and concentration, depression, nightmares and rage.

In 2012, the Army diagnosed him with post-traumatic stress disorder. Doctors gave him a mix of contraindicated drugs that made him manic. A few weeks later, he slammed his wife's head against their Jeep until she was covered in blood then turned on the military police who tried to stop him. He had been scheduled to go into a special unit for wounded soldiers. Instead, the Army put him in jail.

*********************************************************************************

This is an excerpt, Folks. To read the rest of the article of this tragedy, follow the link.

It just PO's me to no end to see the way the Army treats soldiers in need.

Caveat: I was assigned to this unit, and retired from it in '99. The guy in the article is not a tabber (SF), but he was assigned as a support troop. He was one of the team.
I have seen the crap that the chain-of-command in 10th Group will do to a troop  to protect their precious efficiency reports. Ft Carson is really bad when it comes to screwing the troops.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

famousdayandyear

Re: Locked Away Army struggles with wounded soldiers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:11:47 am »
Thank you for this post.  The worst is to be forgotten.

Sort of OT:  But I also thought of Michael Behenna

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: Locked Away Army struggles with wounded soldiers
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:19:55 am »
Thank you for this post.  The worst is to be forgotten.

Sort of OT:  But I also thought of Michael Behenna

That is quite possibly the same type of issue taking place.
Funny thing is, I can see Behenna's side, but it was also drilled into me that we don't execute prisoners or civilians.  We always take the high road.
These recent conflicts have turned quite a bit of my training topsy-turvy.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.